Which to shoot: Young or Old?

If ODFW was as concerned about the health of their mule deer herd as you are it might make a difference which age class of buck you kill. As it is you most likely will not have many choices to pick and choose. What you do pass on someone else will kill.

Classic Prisoner's Dilemma and I appreciate the individual who is looking at the big picture. 1+1+1+1+1...+1......+1 - it adds up. I understand what you're saying and who knows what the impact is, but I can't help but respect the person who is thinking about the grand scheme, we don't have enough people in this country thinking that way. Especially not our leaders.
I agree, its very admirable and commendable that the OP is being that thoughtful and considerate of the resource. A vast majority of the problems in this country stem from how ignorant and self centered people are these days. And yes, 1+1 does add up, but I don’t know that it applies in this situation. The situation wasn’t whether or not he should start composting to keep clean organic matter out of a landfill.

To the OPs question, while the older deer has undoubtedly demonstrated his ability to survive, its impossible to say, whether a young deer in your sights is more or less fit than the older deer.

My point was that as somebody in the OPs situation: new to hunting, no mentor, etc. , he should just be concerned about what’s legal and what makes him happy, i.e. have a good time. Young or old is so immaterial in this situation that it shouldn’t come in to the thought process. Comparatively, the risk of the OP becoming discouraged and giving up on hunting due to this type of concern is a greater risk to the herd. The deer population will be better off if the OP gets hooked on hunting and becomes a thoughtful advocate for hunting and wild places, than if he shoots a young buck vs. an old one, or vice versa on his first hunt.

All does will get bred. You can’t manage quality or genetics on public land. Shoot what makes you happy. Really old bucks and young bucks don’t breed as much as they get ran off. Hunting is not what is affecting deer herds in Oregon. It’s predators.

All does will get bred. You can’t manage quality or genetics on public land. Shoot what makes you happy. Really old bucks and young bucks don’t breed as much as they get ran off. Hunting is not what is affecting deer herds in Oregon. It’s predators.
And hunters aren’t predators? Never could figure that one out.

And hunters aren’t predators? Never could figure that one out.
We spend only one week in the field and only hunt during daylight. I'm pretty sure the coyotes, cougars, and wolves have us outnumbered and out-invested in time. Plus, they have the Oregon House of Representatives on their side and we don't. Darn hippies.

So if wolves kill more deer than coyotes and cougars kill more than wolves, then only cougars are predators? 😃

Sounds like you better get two cougar tags for this fall.

In answer to the OP’s question.... Predators only kill the sick and the weak.... or whatever they can catch.😉
If you are hunting a deer population with adequate numbers, the age of the deer you shoot only affects the age structure of the herd cumulative to how many tags are issued. If it’s a general unit it might help to pass on young bucks but odds are someone else will kill it before the season is over. If it’s a limited draw with few tags, the age of the bucks killed by hunters probably won’t affect the herd. IMO, the only meaningful way to increase the age class of deer is to limit the total number of bucks killed either by private access and voluntary restraint or by limiting permits. Other than that what age deer you shoot doesn’t matter.

I agree, its very admirable and commendable that the OP is being that thoughtful and considerate of the resource.
+1

IMHO, this is your first time; shoot what's in front of you (assuming it's a legal buck). Your satisfaction with the hunt, while I'm sure not totally dependent on coming home with meat, will almost certainly be greater if you DO come home with meat, which will likely increase the chances that you stick with hunting/wildlife advocacy, which is far more valuable in the long term to the health of the wildlife population.

I could be wrong.

I agree, its very admirable and commendable that the OP is being that thoughtful and considerate of the resource. A vast majority of the problems in this country stem from how ignorant and self centered people are these days. And yes, 1+1 does add up, but I don’t know that it applies in this situation. The situation wasn’t whether or not he should start composting to keep clean organic matter out of a landfill.

To the OPs question, while the older deer has undoubtedly demonstrated his ability to survive, its impossible to say, whether a young deer in your sights is more or less fit than the older deer.

My point was that as somebody in the OPs situation: new to hunting, no mentor, etc. , he should just be concerned about what’s legal and what makes him happy, i.e. have a good time. Young or old is so immaterial in this situation that it shouldn’t come in to the thought process. Comparatively, the risk of the OP becoming discouraged and giving up on hunting due to this type of concern is a greater risk to the herd. The deer population will be better off if the OP gets hooked on hunting and becomes a thoughtful advocate for hunting and wild places, than if he shoots a young buck vs. an old one, or vice versa on his first hunt.

Well put!

All does will get bred. You can’t manage quality or genetics on public land.
This is what I subscribe too. And makes the most sense to me. Does will be bred and the age of the deer does not define its genetics as many a popular hunting show would make you believe. shoot the first thing you want too especially if your new to hunting. But a big buck will have more meat lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back