Which Salewa boot for a southeast Idaho elk hunt in October?

wulfsige

First, I’ve been lurking for a while and have enjoyed utilizing this forum as a great knowledge resource- thank you to everyone who contributes and shares their experiences every day.

I’m going on my first western and first elk hunt in southeast Idaho this October and I’ve narrowed down my boot choices to the listed listed Salewa boots below. I live in Georgia and the kind of hunting I’m used to doing just isn’t as demanding on boots as a western elk hunt. The Danner combat hikers I usually wear just won’t do. I’ve had the Salewa Alpine trainers for about a year and I love them. I tried Scarpa and loved the light weight and durability, they just don’t seem to fit the shape of my feet as well as the Salewa.

I’m hunting the Tex Creek area, for those who know that area. I’ve googled and searched and read what I can on the subject, but the advice I’m looking for is somewhat specific and with the critical nature of the appropriate boots for the type of hunt I will be on, I feel it warrants a post.

All three boots are very comfortable, feature Gore-Tex liners, and are durable. Below are the differences in my view-

Salewa Mtn Trainer GTX

Pro-comfort, lowest weight, sole and upper flexibility, price

Con- less durable and less supportive than the other two boots, flexibility, not crampon compatible

General thoughts- I listed flexibility as a pro and con because I understand that depending on the situation a sacrifice in comfort is necessary when the terrain or pack weight calls for greater support and stiffness. This boot is probably not supportive or stiff enough for the possible weight I may end up carrying on a pack out. I don’t see myself using crampons but feel free to educate me on this issue. Do I need them if snow is possible?

Salewa Repace GTX

Pro- likely as durable as the Raven, moderate support, moderate sole stiffness, two part insert, crampon compatible

Con- slightly heavier and slightly less comfortable in relation to Mtn Trainer due to stiffness of the sole

General thoughts- Middleweight and middle in price. This boot is a good compromise between the flexibility of the Mtn Trainer and the stiffness and support of the Raven. I’m leaning towards this boot as my choice for this reason, but I’m not sure if it’s supportive and stiff enough.

Salewa Raven 3 GTX

Pro- durability, very supportive upper (stiffer and higher), two part insert, sole stiffness, synthetic materials, crampon compatible

Con- heaviest of the three, very stiff upper and sole, most expensive, lime green color is not my favorite

General thoughts- Certainly the most bomber of the three. Is it too much boot for Idaho elk hunting? I have no plans for a sheep hunt in the future. I’m feeling like it may be too stiff and heavy for my purposes, but again please educate me. I know the support and stiffness will be appreciated in steeper terrain and with a heavier pack, just wondering if the compromise in comfort is worth it. Cost is not that important in this case as price on these three boots is fairly similar (spread of about $80 between them). The aesthetics aspect is only a minor consideration.

I appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or advice. Thank you in advance.

Never worn Salewa boots so I am not much help there, but this is the boot advice I will share; Kenetreck mountain boots.
I have worn Mendel, Danner, Irish setter, and a few more I don't even remember now because I don't need to. These Kenetreck boots are the finest I have ever owned by far.
Lite weight, very supportive and tough. A little pricey, but as far as I am concerned this is the most important gear choice after your weapon.

Back