Which one, help me chooose

Which one?

• 6.5 Swede

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 6.5 PRC

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters

Mako

I currently have one rifle, an FN production Winchester M70 in 6.5 CM. I use this rifle for deer and pig, and plan to use if for black bear as well. Back when I bought the rifle, I'd never even heard of the Creedmoor. I'v always been enamoured with the 6.5x55 Swede because of the history buff in me. The round has a long, rich military and hunting history in Europe, but I bought the Creed instead because lead free hunting ammo (yes, I live in THAT state), for the Swede was pretty much non-existent, and when I did find it, it was spendy.

Fast forward to today. I've finally purchased a press, so this opens up a new world for me. Not only could I purchase a Swede and load for it, but I could also load for the 6.5 PRC, another caliber that's piqued my interest. I don't need a new rifle. My CM will pretty much fulfill all the types of hunting I ever plan to do, but dammit, I want one. Isn't that reason enough?

I'm just not sure which of these two calibers I should get. If I get a Swede, it'll be a Tikka T3x Hunter stainles. If I go with a PRC, it'll be either another M70, or a T3x Roughtech.

Anyway, which of these two rifles, that I don't need, should I buy? Please give me your thoughts and experiences.

Also, if you have experiences with a Tikka in either of these two calibers, how do you like it, would you recommend it?

6.5 prc.just because the loaded rounds look sleek and sexy! Seriously though both are excellent rounds.

So redundant with your current rifle it’s hard to pick one. PRC is more different so I say that, in a tikka of course.

So redundant with your current rifle it’s hard to pick one. PRC is more different so I say that, in a tikka of course.

I hear you there. Even though the Swede can be loaded hotter than the Creed, and you can buy ammo made for modern guns that will out perform it as well, it's not by much. Hence my contemplating the PRC instead. Plus, if I ever am fortunate enough to go on an elk hunt in my life, I feel the PRC would be better suited. Regardless of what I get, I think I am leaning Tikka. The Hunter with that wood stock and stainless hardware just looks classy, and Roughtech just looks awesome.

Last edited:
My vote would go to the PRC but only because I have experience with the caliber. It has been a pleasure to shoot and reload for me. It has not been picky on the bullets it likes. I settled at 142 lrab, but I have a lot of others I could use and be happy with, savage ultralight.

I currently have one rifle, an FN production Winchester M70 in 6.5 CM. I use this rifle for deer and pig, and plan to use if for black bear as well. Back when I bought the rifle, I'd never even heard of the Creedmoor. I'v always been enamoured with the 6.5x55 Swede because of the history buff in me. The round has a long, rich military and hunting history in Europe, but I bought the Creed instead because lead free hunting ammo (yes, I live in THAT state), for the Swede was pretty much non-existent, and when I did find it, it was spendy.

Fast forward to today. I've finally purchased a press, so this opens up a new world for me. Not only could I purchase a Swede and load for it, but I could also load for the 6.5 PRC, another caliber that's piqued my interest. I don't need a new rifle. My CM will pretty much fulfill all the types of hunting I ever plan to do, but dammit, I want one. Isn't that reason enough?

I'm just not sure which of these two calibers I should get. If I get a Swede, it'll be a Tikka T3x Hunter stainles. If I go with a PRC, it'll be either another M70, or a T3x Roughtech.

Anyway, which of these two rifles, that I don't need, should I buy? Please give me your thoughts and experiences.

Also, if you have experiences with a Tikka in either of these two calibers, how do you like it, would you recommend it?
I have a Roughtech and is amazing, basically a big brother to the normal T3x. Bergara and Tikka are my choice for rifles made in todays age. The PRC rounds seem to be gaining alot of popularity and not just because of hype. I would go 7 or 300 PRC but thats just me. However, with your two your considering I would 100% get the 6.5 PRC. Only thing I know about the Swede round is I have four boxes MAYBE on my shelves at work and we have a TON of PRC.

My vote would be the 6.5 PRC. Components are relatively easy to get your hands on and in my experience they have been fairly easy to load for.

I would also lean both, probably by selling the creedmoor.

If you go Swede then pay the historic cartridge the respect it deserves and get it in a classic rifle. Preferably a Mauser style action with a nice wood stock and blued! (Model 70, Model 77, Kimber)

The PRC is a practical choice for anything you listed, good factory ammo options if you decide not to mess with reloading.

I’ve always wanted a 6.5 Swede with a mannlicher stock with a schnabel forend. For modern rifles that you are mentioning though I’d probably go 6.5PRC… or better yet, it’s older brother the .270Win

I voted Swede.
But that's more my preference for not following the advertising hype of the new whiz bang cartridges that don't really do anything different than the time proven cartridges.
Reinventing the wheel, don't ya know. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back