MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

which gps?

slamdmini

i want to get gps, but i have no idea whats good and whats bad? im on a budget, but i dont wanna get something that is a pos. whats a good one for the money? thank guys

What's your budget?

not really sure. i kno very little about them. i dont even have one for my car. dont need top of the line (and probably cant afford it anyway). just want to get a descent one. if i have to spend big bucks to get a good one then i can save up a bit more. oh and it will be used strictly for hunting.

If you go to the bottom of this forum and select "last year" under "From the", you will find a dozen or more threads on GPS units in the last year.

I have the Dakota and it's nice but I think the touch screen needs improvment and sometimes it takes quite a while to aquire it's location when you turn it on. If your going to spend $225 might think about spending a little more for something newer.

If you can live without the touch screen you can propably pick up a used etrex model on e-bay for less than $100.

I asked this same question awhile back and looked at alot of them. Old one was a first generation Magellan. Not being savy to GPS's, ordered an Oregon 450 and got upgraded to 550 cause one I ordered was backordered.
Am finding it very easy to use. Still learning with Basecamp but overall an impressive unit. Practiced by finding geocaches near me. Paid $300 for new unit. Acquired location very quick and the tracking mode seemed right on. 550 is same as 450 except has camera. Wouldn't spend the extra on 450T or 550T. Got maps online.

I own the Garmin 450t, but I really only use it as an emergency backup.

I think the best $20 bucks I spent on my last trip was the topo map from mytopo.com. I was all through the back country, and with the contour map I had I knew exactly where I was at all times. I marked a couple way points on my GPS, and used it to check elevation occasionally, but I never used it to navigate.

It was extremely easy to order and get the exact area I wanted to hunt.

F9347E64-3FC6-424B-A0D3-C1BAA6598C91-7960-000005FAA453C169_zps1219eaf9.jpg

Don't forget the basic etrex without the map - under $100. I am seeing the etrex 20 with the 1:100,000 map installed for about $200. I have used both and would recommend both depending on budget. I am not a big fan of touch screens - my next step up would be the GPSMAP 62.

They will ALL give you an exact position - the extra money goes for maps and then bells and whistles.

thanks for all the help and suggestions. sounds like most guys recommend a garmin so ill look more into those.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back