Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Which do you fear most?

What is your greatest corner-crossing fear?

• Total voters
Sounds like a ton of folks say 🖕🏽🖕🏽🖕🏽 To the corner crossing laws…. More than I thought, anyway.

People actually make this an issue ? No wonder there's less folks going out. Access across public lands restricted by residents? That can't be right ! Reasonable access

People actually make this an issue ? No wonder there's less folks going out. Access across public lands restricted by residents? That can't be right ! Reasonable access
I'm sure there's objectional behavior by all parties, including 'us'.

So has anyone talked to their legislators about reasonable access or addressing this issue proactively ?

When much of the west looks like this, you can understand why this is such a big issue. Each square below is a 1 square mile section - 640 acres. Yellow is public, brown is private. So there’s at least 100,000 acres of inaccessible public land in that pic if you can’t corner hop. Obviously the people who own all the interwoven private would prefer you not be able to do that so they can have it for their own exclusive use without owning it or paying taxes on it.

1627237220164.png

My fear is having an animal I worked hard for confiscated, spending 10 or $15,000 of my own money, defending myself, losing, and then being thrown into the same pile, with the same label, as all the real, scumbag poachers.

if I am not hunting, or I have a different route I could pack something out, I have no fear. I will corner cross, I just will not corner cross if it is my only option for getting a dead animal back to my vehicle

My fear is having an animal I worked hard for confiscated, spending 10 or $15,000 of my own money, defending myself, losing, and then being thrown into the same pile, with the same label, as all the real, scumbag poachers.

if I am not hunting, or I have a different route I could pack something out, I have no fear. I will corner cross, I just will not corner cross if it is my only option for getting a dead animal back to my vehicle
Depends on the State for me.

I don't worry about corner crossing for hunting in Wyoming, or packing an animal out either.

I'm not even sure if it's a valid concern in this instance, but I try to walk the straight and narrow when hunting and fishing because I don't want my gear/vehicle etc. seized as evidence.

As we all know by now, corner crossing is seriously dangerous business. Chances are either your life will be permanently ruined by Ted or Phil’s stable of stud attorneys, or you will have a limb or head sawn off by a psychopathic airspace owner. I’m still not exactly sure how I managed to hop a WY corner twice in 2020 totally unscathed…
This is what I am worried about preparing for my first hunt out west. Used to hunting a lot of private, not the best map reader in the world. If I accidentally find myself in a corner I shouldn’t be, should I expect the worse even though it will be an honest mistake?

I'm not even sure if it's a valid concern in this instance, but I try to walk the straight and narrow when hunting and fishing because I don't want my gear/vehicle etc. seized as evidence.
Lol this is one of the main reasons I am so timid about hunting public lands out West. Yes there is so many more opportunities out west, but southerns like myself don’t want to spend our time and money going into unfamiliar lands because make a mistake and it will ruin the hunting trip lol

IMHO there shouldn't be a single piece of Federal, state, or BLM land that does not have some form access provided to the public.

I cant believe this problem even exists. Its ridiculous.

Thats probably why Wyoming doesn't prosecute for it. They get it.

Was going to mention issues with Timber Companies in OR locking up public land, but shoot, they're working signatures on a measure to ban hunting in the state, so it don't matter there.

IMHO there shouldn't be a single piece of Federal, state, or BLM land that does not have some form access provided to the public.

I cant believe this problem even exists. Its ridiculous.

Thats probably why Wyoming doesn't prosecute for it. They get it.
Technically it's supposed to be our land. (We the people) In a way, I pay taxes on it so I would think I should entitled to it's use. No it's not deeded to me and no, my name is not specifically on it, but if I am supposed to have rights to a piece of property, then why should anybody else have the right to take that away from me?
I know there is a bigger and more definitive argument to be had, but this is just my basic thought in saying "this is my land and I want to be able to access it."

Technically it's supposed to be our land. (We the people) In a way, I pay taxes on it so I would think I should entitled to it's use. No it's not deeded to me and no, my name is not specifically on it, but if I am supposed to have rights to a piece of property, then why should anybody else have the right to take that away from me?
I know there is a bigger and more definitive argument to be had, but this is just my basic thought in saying "this is my land and I want to be able to access it."
No one said you can't access it...you just need a helicopter...or pay a trespass fee...or say "F it, I'm crossing the corner and taking my chances."

I'm mostly kidding. It's a huge frustration and affects MILLIONS of acres. There are efforts underway to address it. Join an advocacy group and let your elected officials know it matters to you. Here's a link to one aspect of it: https://www.trcp.org/2020/03/20/mapland-the-basics/

Back