Which coyote gets shot first?

Doug

Let's say you call in a double. One coyote coming in to within about 50 yards, with the other one stopped at 150 yards out. Which one would you shoot first? There's a scenario like this on the Doggin Coyotes video along with an explanation. It makes sense what they say, but I'll wait to see what you fellas would do before I share what they did on the video.
wink.gif

Doug

....that depends on several scenarios. The key is the front coyote. My goal would be to shoot the 2nd coyote. As long as the 1st coyote is not spooked and keeps looking back, the 2nd coyote will come forward.

You have to size up the situation with both coyotes. If possible, wait on the 2nd one until you feel you can kill him and swing on the 1st one for a better shot.

Once you learn how to call coyotes, the next step is learn how to work coyotes. If any of that makes sense. Hell, I don't know what answer you are looking for, but that is what I would do.
biggrin.gif

This one always brings out the chess board theories
smile.gif
Im out to get coyotes, so the one standing in front of me is the one Im shooting first. I know I have him, his buddy might be just as dead too, but Im getting the close one first. After that, all bets are off, the other one might freeze at the shot giving me enough time to shoot him, or he might hit the after burners. If he hauls ass, get on the puppy whines hard and heavy, or bark, and it's very possible you can stop him for a better shot. Thats my theory, and Im stickin' to it
smile.gif

Depends on the terrain. If it is fairly open, the furthest out coyote gets shot first. The close coyote then gets a Texas heart shot, followed by a shot to the real heart.

If I have bush up close, that the first one can get behind quickly, I'll take him, then go for the long running shot.

For myself, I'd shoot the close one and be happy for a week that i got one. On the doggin coyotes video they say to shoot the far away coyote first because the closest coyote is the more aggressive one and would be easiest to stop or call back in. I don't know if I believe that or not. Is the hard charger the more aggressive coyote, or just a little hungrier? I have a heck of lot more to learn before i am ready to work coyotes. I've heard you need a dog to do that anyway.
wink.gif

Doug

Doug, I've never heard of that, but it does make sense to me too. I would bet on it but with full intentions of losing the bet. Does that make any sense? I didn't think so.

But what you said probably makes sense, but maybe it works almost always, maybe oftenly some of the times, mostly!

Am I clear on this point? Definately maybe not!
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

For me, "one in the hand is worth two in the bush" The close one gets it.

Also if I can dump the first one and the second one sees it go down. I get on the "wounded coyote" call and it seems to me the second will stop faster to see whats going on with/to his buddy.

Sometimes I get a double on two standing coyotes with this method.

Doug, I always take the easiest coyote first, be it close or out a ways it don't matter. The coyote that comes in first was probably the coyote closest to you, not the most aggressive lol. Hell, they are all aggressive when it comes to food, who made that Video?

Murphy Love & Merv Griswold made the video for ELK Inc. It's a very well made video with excellent film of dogs working coyotes. Trying to figure out a way to pick up a double makes for good conversation though, doesn't it? Do you guys consider it a double when you get 2 coyotes charging at once, or is it still a double when you get one and then another one 10 minutes later on the same stand?
Doug

When it's my story, two that I can see coming to the call is a double,or three coming a triple etc... If they come in minutes apart thats two singles on the same stand, or three singles, etc. Depends on who's telling the story, thats where you hear of 6,8 or ten on a stand. They most likely didn't come in at the same time, although it can happen, but arrived in two or three waves,separated by several minutes.

Bala, this past December, Tim Behle and I were on our first stand of the morning, and we had 9 coyotes come in. The first one I saw, came running from my right to left and I whacked him. Tim never fired a shot, and neither did I after the first one. They were coming from all directions, and not to say, some of them were seen twice - we don't know. But we counted 9 coyotes and we had to laugh after the fact, because we did not know or could not get another shot off. It was very funny and exciting to see that many coyotes on one stand. And, by the way, that was the most I have ever seen on one stand. Yes, we were in some mid to thick stuff at the time. We hunted from first light until dark, and I will always remember that day of hunting. It was a good day.
biggrin.gif

Danny Batastini, e-mail me at:

[email protected]

I need to talk to you.

Take care.

I usually shoot the lead coyote first and hopefully the second see's the first go down. That can make it a little easier to stop the second.

My calling partner and I have a system that when calling doubles or multiples, the caller stops the coyotes and shoots the first or lead coyote. The backup man has the responibilty for the second coyote.

If there's doubt about which one is leading, the caller will take the one on his side.

We have very few coyotes with two bullets in them.

Dennis

I usually let my partner take the further coyote. I tell them that they haven't earned the close ones yet and that those are reserved for the seasoned callers.

Typically the shots do not bother coyotes UNLESS the shot is directed in the same approximate alignment as the second dog.

Shooting at the further dog gives the caller ample chance to yelp at the closer one, stopping him/her for a final shot.

Working the coyote as Bruce mentioned is a plateau that callers eventually achieve and opens up a whole new world of enjoyment for callers.

Typically I don't shoot until the shooting starts. Lots of times the partner doesn't see the close one.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-18-2003 14:00: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]</font>

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back