MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Which Combo Wyoming Hunt Elk/Antelope or Elk/Deer??

TN VOL

Hey guys, I think I've put more time into researching application strategies, hunting ideas, etc the last month than my own job! I'm looking for some advice/opinions.. My boys have 2 preference points for elk, they're 15 & 17 and are experienced hunters, we've been on one elk rifle hunt DIY without success, 1 mule deer hunt a couple years with success. So..here's a few of my ideas..put in for Elk tag in Wyoming for general tag, possibly hunt the snowies or sierra madre mountains in archery season, then on way back home hunt antelope for 2-3 days with rifle? Other idea is get a deer tag, hunt deer then hunt rifle elk opener? I'm thinking we'd probably need around 10 days to do this which we can manage to do...just can't decide if we should do the archery elk hunt (we've never hunted elk with bow w/ screaming bulls) with possible more pleasant weather then antelope hunt or the rifle deer/rifle elk hunt? I know a lot of people say if you have an elk tag you should focus on the elk only because they're tough to hunt which I agree they're not easy to hunt/kill. I'm trying to take advantage of oldest son getting a youth license price...this will be his last year being a youth..thanks again!
-TN VOL

They will have to be lucky to draw a general tag with their 2 PPs. Last year 2 PPs was only 58.43% draw and the remaining applicants had only a 14% chance in the Random Draw. IMHO a combo deer/antelope is doable if you have 10 hunting days, but if you have 2 bull elk tags I wouldn't even think about trying a combo hunt. I'd put them in for the elk tags and you'll know before the end of February if they draw. That will then give you until the end of May to decide if you want to or need to apply for deer or antelope or combo them if they don't draw the elk tags.

Last edited:
I think either idea could work fine. A pronghorn/elk combo probably is the best bet of being successful on at least one species, although I do prefer to fill the pronghorn tags first. I think it would be harder to leave my elk area if I still had an unfilled tag and a couple days to be hunting. Some pronghorn areas open in mid September, so if drawn you could rifle hunt 'lopes first then bowhunt elk the rest of the trip. Of course you could also hunt pronghorn later in the season and then hit the elk opener.

I tried to reply to your PM a few minutes ago, but your inbox is full and wouldn't take. Clear your box and I'll try again.

Last edited:
I think you'd be wise to pick a species unless you have a lot of time. Pronghorn could probably be completed in 2-4 days depending on the unit and goals. Then you'd need a reasonable amount of time for deer or elk.

I always did a rifle antelope hunt prior to heading into the Sierre Madres for an elk bowhunt.We would drop our meat off at butchers then head into the mountains.But this was 8-10 years ago when I could get type 1 antelope tags as leftovers in the units around Laramie.Unless they have 1 point for antelope you'll be traveling a good distance I think to hunt antelope.
The deer seasons open 2 weeks before elk season in Sierre Madres.Not sure I'd want to hunt the last couple days of a regional deer tag.Tough time to be successful.And the sierres get extremely busy in rifle season.Ive hunted bow and rifle there and would go with my bow from now on.Never had problem calling in multiple bulls in during a week there in bow season

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back