Yeti GOBOX Collection

Which Bear Spray Please

Birdbander

This September I'll be going to Colorado on my first dusky grouse hunt. A non-hunting friend will be going along because he wants to see the sights. He's going to attempt to be useful by sharing fuel cost, taking pictures and annoyingly pointing out ever "cool" thing we pass.

I'll be carrying my shotgun as well as a pistol, he won't have a firearm. I suggested I could just shoot him to make it quick if he's attacked by a bear, cougar or whatever, but his wife didn't find that humorous. My second recommendation was that he get bear spray but having never purchased any myself, I'm at a loss which to recommend. I'd be appreciative for advice on which spray, thank you.

Are you talking the Colorado in Colorado?😁

I wouldn’t worry about it but if he feels safer with spray just grab the first red canister he finds that has “bear spray” printed on the side.😁
To be clear, I'M not concerned but he's not the outdoors type and will feel more comforted with spray. I told him pain is temporary and the other one I recently saw here "stand your ground and take your medicine like a man". Almost had him convinced not to go😁
I like your idea and might just peel the label from a can of red spray paint from work🤣

Be sure you are present when he is instructed on how to use it.......like when fishing fron a little boat, DO NOT PEE INTO THE WIND !!! are you sure you really want the ''company''???? you do not seemed overly joyed at the idea.

Be sure you are present when he is instructed on how to use it.......like when fishing fron a little boat, DO NOT PEE INTO THE WIND !!! are you sure you really want the ''company''???? you do not seemed overly joyed at the idea.
We're good friends with very different backgrounds. It's all in good fun but I appreciate the psychoanalysis. I'll delve into the repressed emotions & get back to you.

I also like the ability to unclip the bear spray canister in an instant, so prefer the plastic clip instead of a cloth holster.
BearSpray.png
Joe Nava was an NRA instructor in Fairbanks who taught bear safety to resource managers.
Joe was an expert pistol shot and had killed many bears with pistols and rifles.
For resource managers, he recommended bear spray in most situations.
His reasoning:
The potential problem with long guns (rifles or shotguns) was the tendency to put the gun down
(for example while pitching the tent).
The potential problem with pistols was lack of expertise (try hitting a fast moving softball sized target with first shot)
and likelihood of wounding a charging bear.

Last edited:
I’ve never had to use bear spray as intended, but I have been around when a few cans have gone off unintentionally. All were user error and not related to any problems with the spray cans.

When the Counter Assault cans went off, even a tiny wiff of the spray was very impactful to anyone nearby. It even lingered for years on backpacks and other materials.

Last fall my friend inadvertently sprayed a can of UDAP bear spray while putting on his backpack after the safety had been dislodged. It sprayed for several seconds and created a fairly large cloud of orange spray around him and several of us. I expected to be coughing and crying my eyes out, but it was barely noticeable. His pack was coated in liquid bear spray, but I could shove my nose into it and breathe regularly. Not sure if it was a defective can or if their spray is just that much less potent.

Anyways, I guess I would recommend Counter Assault if you are worried about bears and UDAP if you are more worried about your buddy accidentally or intentionally spraying you.

Last fall my friend inadvertently sprayed a can of UDAP bear spray while putting on his backpack after the safety had been dislodged. It sprayed for several seconds and created a fairly large cloud of orange spray around him and several of us. I expected to be coughing and crying my eyes out, but it was barely noticeable. His pack was coated in liquid bear spray, but I could shove my nose into it and breathe regularly. Not sure if it was a defective can or if their spray is just that much less potent.
Somewhere I remember UDAP not fairing well in testing.

I got a little bit of Counter Assault on my hands once. It took days to clear up the chemical burns.

I got UDAP to the face and it was no friggin joke, for two days. I’ve also seen it melt off all the labels on an interior dash, like your hot/cold labels and the radio tuner. Bear spray DOES expire and I’d not like to test that the hard way. I haven’t tried the plastic carrying clip but the cloth one is nice.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back