PEAX Equipment

Where to save points for youth rifle hunt in 5+ years?

7Bartman

I plan on hunting Idaho OTC every September, but my youngest son (6 years old) really wants to go elk hunting. I've promised him I'll take him when he turns 12. I figure it's not too early to start applying for him and saving points so he can draw in a nice unit in 6+ years. I've watched Randy's video's about each of the different states and I'm thinking AZ may be the way to go. What I'm asking specifically are there other states that I should consider for my son? I'm not familiar with all the lottery systems/options that may be available for a youth hunt.

In most western states you need to be eligible to apply for a license, to receive a point. That includes age requirements.

From the Arizona 2017-2018 regulations To apply for a bonus point only, the individual must be 10 years old by the deadline date as specified in the Hunt
Permit-tag Application Schedule on page 20.

In most western states you need to be eligible to apply for a license, to receive a point. That includes age requirements.

From the Arizona 2017-2018 regulations To apply for a bonus point only, the individual must be 10 years old by the deadline date as specified in the Hunt
Permit-tag Application Schedule on page 20.

There goes that plan. Thank you though, this is the precise type of advice I was looking for.

I'm not aware of any states that let you build points before you are of age to actually go hunting or have hunters safety completed. I could be wrong though. While we don't have elk tags yet, my home state of WI just got rid of minimum hunting age so you could always come here and hunt whitetail.

I would just keep tabs on all the western states that offer reduced youth tags and start researching them.

While I would give anything to have gone on a wester elk hunt with my dad (who is now gone), my best memories hunting with my dad were made just spending time with hime in the woods or at deer camp. Just spend time with your son in the woods and it will be the best time you ever spent.

Bhunt,
I couldn't agree more. I already take him out as much as I can. He's had the "fever" ever since he's been able to walk. He's already been on a few hunts with me and helped me track a few animals. I would hope he's got a few whitetails under him by the time we head out West.
syrjZLv.jpg

b74MajB.jpg

Unfortunately you can't build points for him till he is eligible to hunt. But I would suggest taking him on an antelope hunt with you, work him up to a elk hunt. Pick up some doe tags and go have fun.

10 years old to purchase points in AZ, 12 for CO, WY and UT.
$20 for youth AZ points, $10 for WY, not sure on CO and UT.

I was told yesterday that you do not need have passed a hunters education course to purchase points, they will gladly accept your money.

Thanks FL. I'll just work on all the other hunting skills with him until the time comes. I was trying to get him a head start in the points game.

Back