Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Where to live in Alaska?

belly-deep

As a hunter/fisherman, where would you pick?

Sitka
Juneau
Ketchikan
Fairbanks
Anchorage

Also, feel free to tell me about the pros/cons of each for daily life as well...

Tough choice... They all have pros/cons.

I like to fish, but would rather hunt more. No place has the kind of hunting you're used to in Montana... easy access, long seasons, plentiful animals, etc.

I would rather move back to MT than live anywhere in the Southeast/panhandle. Nothing about that area appeals to me for long term living.

I like Anchorage, but could be talked into moving north and closer to better hunting and less people.

We looked into Anchorage a few years ago, simply because there is a Children's hospital there(for my wife's career).

It seemed like a decent compromise between Alaska, and the lower 48. My wife decided she didn't want to leave her family, just before we were going to make the trip to scope out housing.

I lived in Juneau for three years and three months--1983-1986 and HATED it! It rains 12 months of the year, is dark 20 hours a day in winter. Wild horses couldn't drag me back here. Downtown Juneau gets 94" of rain a year, Ketchikan receives 154", Sitka is something like 82". (I met my wife in Sitka in 1982, and graduated from the police academy there in '84.) Never been to Fairbanks. If I had to live in Alaska it would probably be Anchorage, but I am happy I don't need to make that choice. I think Alaska is a wonderful place to visit, to do some hunting and fishing, but in my opinion, it is a substandard place to live.

Anchorage or somewhere in the interior would be my first choice. As it's been said, it's a wet, soggy rainforest in SE AK.

I'll give a better response, from a SE perspective.

The pan handle doesn't have the species that the interior has. (Caribou, Sheep, Moose) Most of my buddies (who live in the same small town as me in SE make a yearly pilgrimage up north to pursue those species though, and do quite well. The advantage of residency. It costs money though, or 15,000 AK air miles to get to anchorage.

What SE does have are sitka blacktails, black bears, brown bears, mtn goats, elk, and moose. (elk is drawing, moose isn't very good). Vast public lands in SE AK. Not many hunters.

Where SE shines in the saltwater fishing. It's what keeps me here. I can run out in the evening and catch limits of kings and halibut, all within sight of my house. A boat is a must in SE AK. River fishing is very good too for trout, steelhead, and salmon. No combat fishing. Easy access.

It rains a ton in SE. I think my area gets 120" a year. I don't mind, most people do. It keeps the population down.

I've watched people come and go from SE AK for 10 years now. Most people who hate it don't put for the effort to do much hunting/fishing. Those that do absolutely love it. Have the means to make that yearly pilgrimage up north to do your moose/caribou/sheep hunting, and SE AK ain't a bad place to live. It's all the benefits of Alaska, without having to deal with lots of snow and people.

Thank you for the replies. How about a few more details:

I might have the chance to live in any of the above-mentioned towns for a one-year job. After that, I'd have to decide whether I want to stay in AK and look for another job or move back to MT.

For the first year there, I wouldn't have the money to do things like buying a boat or the time to fly into the bush and hunt for several days.

For the first year, I'd be looking for three things:

1) Fishing (again, no boat)
2) Accessible NR hunting of some sort (could even be birds; I have dogs)
3) A general idea of what living in AK might be like (so I could decide if I want to stay or not)

I've always wanted to see AK and as a 27 year old single guy, I think now might be the time.

My brother lives in Fairbanks and he reports that it is one cold mutha in the winter. Something about the rivers and the town being in a slight hole. He's a couple hours away from hunting there.
If I had to move my wife would only accept Anchorage due to the shopping and other amenities. I would then have to plan trips to hunt with my brother.

My dad told me about a forest service friend who moved to Juneau to finish out his career. I think he only had 5 yearsleft but by year 3 he couldn't take it anymore. Too much rain and his wife was constantly depressed because of it. He moved and had to work a few more years to make up for it.

Thank you for the replies. How about a few more details:

I might have the chance to live in any of the above-mentioned towns for a one-year job. After that, I'd have to decide whether I want to stay in AK and look for another job or move back to MT.

For the first year there, I wouldn't have the money to do things like buying a boat or the time to fly into the bush and hunt for several days.

For the first year, I'd be looking for three things:

1) Fishing (again, no boat)
2) Accessible NR hunting of some sort (could even be birds; I have dogs)
3) A general idea of what living in AK might be like (so I could decide if I want to stay or not)

I've always wanted to see AK and as a 27 year old single guy, I think now might be the time.

You should go. But better stay more than a year at least to get a sheep.

Anchorage offers fishing and hunting for petty much everything within a few hour's drive. Can't say the same for the rest. The downside is people. The climate is similar to Montana with a lot more snow and a lot less wind. I love MT but doubt I'll ever move back.

This year since August I've hunted sheep, moose, bears, caribou and birds. Just about got a wolf last weekend, and this weekend I'm hunting brownies. I drove to all those hunts... 4-5 hours tops. I won't get into the fishing ive done since june... but i have 200+ lbs of mixed fair in the freezer. Probabaly fished at least 25 days.

SE offers a shit load of crappy weather, so much that sone towns will close up shops when the sun finally comes out. Cool to visit but would never live there.

I was born in fairbanks, and have lived and gratuated from school in anchorage lived there for 20 years. I would say Anchorage for sure beacause of the winters, lots closer to the fishing, a guy can always travel north to hunt, the area betwee Tok and Healy always produced animals btw the yearly dividend is nice as well..

Belly-deep: Calvin gave an excellent assessment of Southeast Alaska. I have no idea how you can command a job in a variety of places as you suggest, but at age 27, I'd say GO FOR IT and see if you like it! Lots of people wouldn't live anywhere else. As I pointed out, I am not one of them. As for bird dogs, the only use for them would be ptarmigan hunting and then you'd probably have to "fly out." In Southeast Alaska you are screwed without a boat, or access to one. Also, most hunting off the road systems is pretty crowded.

Bambistew obviously has it figured out in enjoying what Alaska has to offer.

In any case, unless you are in love with a job in Missoula, I'd go for it! Good luck!

Single and 27? Now is definately the time. Much easier than married, with kids, and 46.

Obviously the residents on here have much better perspective than I. However, I did live near Fairbanks while in the early 90's and go back as often as time and money allow. I would live there again in a minute. Anchorage would be my second choice just because there are more people there. Winter in the interior gives a whole new outlook on cold! Fishing is pretty good and accessible though a canoe would open up some more possibilities. Salmon can be had from the Salcha and Chena Rivers but nowhere near the quantities you find further south. Interior is more grayling, trout and pike with burbot and sheefish on occasion. We would generally make a couple road trips to Valdez for salmon. Ptarmigan are plentiful and I think a bow hunt for caribou would be doable from the haul road. I defer to those more knowledgeable with the regs here.
Your last sentence saying you are single and 27 says it all. Go. Either Fairbanks or Anchortown, you can't go wrong.

My wife graduates with a nursing degree next May, and Alaska is a possibility for 2-3 years. Of the places she'd maybe be able to land a job, I'd push for Fairbanks, but in the end anywhere that allows me to become an Alaska resident would be fine with me, although I'm not certain I want to leave Montana, I'd only go if we made a deal to end up back in Montana when she gets sick of Alaska.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back