Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Where to hunt in Colorado with 13 pts

car

Looking for some advice. I live in Ohio. I was planning on moving to Wyoming and traveling to Colorado often to do alot of scouting before cashing in my points. I was going to DIY hunt since I would have been able to do so because of living so close. At this time, it doesn't look like I'll be able to move to Wy. I have never been one to use outfitters much, but at age 57 and hunting alone, I feel with the amount of points and a one shot trip, it would be a wise choice to go with an outfitter or a ranch tag or something along that line. What would you do?

You are in what they call "No Man's Land" w your 13 pts. The top public land units are 19-22 pts. But since you mentioned that you are willing to use an outfitter, there is an abundance of options that dont even require 13 pts. You wont get alot of outfitter suggestions on this site. Go to a couple sportsman's shows & start talking to all the outfitters. If they cant cater to your situation they can point u in the right direction & give u references. A good option to is to use a booking agent. They will access your situation & desires & can get u in touch w the right outfitter for u. They dont charge for their services. Cabela's TAG services is one such booking agency. Good luck. At your age, there's no sense in keeping your pts. You will never reach the top of the pt draw. If your gonna buy a landowner tag that is totally independent from the draw. Your pts are of no value for landowner tags & landowner tags will cost you 2-5 times the price of the regular tag. It is an option to get into a good unit, but it will cost you. Maybe w your experience level & you said that this will be a 1 time only hunt for you.... I would recommend going w an outfitter.

Last edited:
Deer or elk? You have plenty of options for a great hunt. Problem is you really only need 4-6, so you will be wasting points. Me personally, I'd go hunt.

No mans land? Not sure what that means? Does it mean not having enough points to draw a tag to shoot a 330 class bull, or having 3x too many to hunt units with bigger bulls?

I'd look at the muzz or archery hunts in areas with less rifle hunting opportunities.

Good luck on your hunt planning

I've bow hunted in the Flat Top area before. That's when I started building points. When I said this is a one shot hunt what I should have said is I don't plan on having this many points again so a want to make the most of this hunt.

No Mans Land means you're in the middle of the points spread. Not enough for a great area, and too many for most other areas. There doesn't seem to be a lot of hunt units that require around 13 points. You could apply for hunt that requires 4-5, but then you're wasting a lot of points, years and money.

what species do you 13 points for in colorado?points are species specific..Id suggest checking out hunters trail head.com to take a look at your choices,,,well worth the 25-30 dollar membership for a year of looking up alot of stuff across the west.a quick look shows your in line for about 6 elk options and 15 deer options.I wish i had 13 points to burn for 2015,,,instead of 4

Back