Where should I be hitting paper at 100 yards.

Ontario, when are you leaving for Africa and for how long. Are you going to the same place in South Africa? Are you going alone?

Two inches high at a 100, relax and go to Africa and enjoy yourself. You will kill everything you shoot at. I would worry more about my seat on the plane. Kindest Regards

Where in Africa are you going? Terrain dictates your zero in my experience. I made 3 hunts in NE South Africa, Used a +1@100 first trip with a 35 Whelan AI 250x@ 2550fps. which was a 150yd zero. That was also my longest shot then. 2nd trip, same place but +2"@100 with a 340Wby 210xbt @ 3200. Nothing over 100yds! Went on over to Namibia and shot twice at 200yd, (scope failure went to spare rifle a 300WM 180xbt@3100) also +2" @100, shot from 300 to 380yds there. Just held up a tad. 3rd trip, 35 WAI/200x @2970 also +2" , furthest shot was 347yds. Just held on top of back. I have missed more game "by shooting over" using the +3"@100 than I ever "shot under" using +1-2". You are going a long way to spend big bucks, and you want a bullet that can "drive deep" for the severe angling shots, able to thread through a small opening in the brush, etc. You wound it, you bought it, ha. In some places, you "miss it you bought it"! Communicate clearly with your PH/Outfitter...what kind of shots can you expect and what "does he expect" of your shooting abilities, and what will constitute your responsibilities for payment. A word to the wise...but have a ball!

The ridiculously talented problem solver that I am says maybe find a place to shoot as far as you want to while hunting.
I see you haven't spent much time in NW Ontario! It's relatively flat and heavily forested here. Any clear cut units are either an obstacle course of slash left on the ground or quickly grown over with chest high poplar/jack pine.

I see you haven't spent much time in NW Ontario! It's relatively flat and heavily forested here. Any clear cut units are either an obstacle course of slash left on the ground or quickly grown over with chest high poplar/jack pine.
JESUS H FRIKKIN CHRIST. just when I though there could not be a dumber thread than the burning bucket of human feces in your campfire..

Sight in your rifle an inch high at 100 yards.

Amazed this thread reached 32...

Onto another. The internet forum life cycle.

Thanks to the responses that were serious (ignoring the juveniles). I was in a tight spot and not enough time for a lot of homework so I took a shortcut and asked for advice here as I was driving to the gravel pit. Thanks again.

The rebarrelling of my rifle turned out to be a nightmare of gigantic proportions. A certain so-called gunsmith in Superior, WI deserves a blindfold and a cigarette for wrecking the gun. A retired machinist in Red Lake, Ontario deserves a medal for saving it ... at the last minute (like Wednesday). Then I discovered I only had fourteen primers left in the package and none to be bought anywhere. Friday night a fella I shoot clays with sold me a hundred (at half price!) so I could finish zeroing the gun today and load up thirty rounds for Africa. Whew! Meantime I'm rushing around trying get everything in order for the trip.

I figured 2" at 100 yards would be plenty for 165 Partitions pumped up with 57 gr of 4350. Not much wind today and I got one inch group at about 1.75" high and bang on vertically. Good enough. Much better than the old barrel which besides throwing a seven inch group at 100 yds, also tossed out the occasional flyer. Anything out to 250 yds should be dead meat. Good to have a gun I can believe in again.
20210814_114111.jpg

PS:The garbage on the ground is NOT mine. Really disgusting what the slobs have done to the place.

Last edited:
My 700 30-06 is zeroed at 200 for 165 AB's and it hits 100 @ 1 3/4". It has always been between 1 1/2"- 2" high at 100. Depends on the ammo.I only use 165's now. AB's.
I would go with 1 1/2" high @ 100 and hope you know what it is like to see past a fir thicket or what a 200 yard open spot is...

Last edited:
I've never heard of a PH that doesn't make you zero your rifle upon arrival at a distance consistent with the most common shot distance for their hunting geography. Given that, +1.5"@100y will be plenty close for you to tweak "in country" if needed.

And given the common nature of the cartridge and bullet weight you'll be able to rely on his advice on how to best apply the rifle in the field.

Well, it was all for naught. I got a good group a little high at 100 yards two days before I left. First afternoon in Kimberly we went to the range and one shot went the same place so that was good enough. Next morning we went for hartbeest and everything went to hell. After inexplicably missing one nice bull three times, I was finally able to get one, hitting him poorly three times, no shot further than 200 metres. What the hell? PH knew something was wrong. He'd seen me shoot very well the previous trip. That evening we went back to the range and my gun was all over the paper at 100 yards. I stopped wasting ammo and switched to PH's spare (and later he let me use his very sweet personal gun). That night I couldn't sleep fretting over that damn Springfield. Got up and took it out of the case. After going over it, I grabbed it by the barrel to put back in the case. Something didn't feel right. I grasped the fore end and ... the barrel wiggled! It had somehow come loose from bedding. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I didn't get the action and new barrel rebedded until three days before leaving. I suspect the epoxy wasn't thoroughly cured by the time I arrived in Africa. It's shooting good now. Hornady bullets arrived two days ago. Anxious to get them loaded and up to the range before going to Montana for deer/elk opener. I now have 200 bullets, a keg of powder, and 250 primers so I should have plenty of time to get any bugs worked out. Too bad I don't have a decent range to work with. There's a local rifle range club but I want no part of joining with all the drama going on out there.

Well, it was all for naught. I got a good group a little high at 100 yards two days before I left. First afternoon in Kimberly we went to the range and one shot went the same place so that was good enough. Next morning we went for hartbeest and everything went to hell. After inexplicably missing one nice bull three times, I was finally able to get one, hitting him poorly three times, no shot further than 200 metres. What the hell? PH knew something was wrong. He'd seen me shoot very well the previous trip. That evening we went back to the range and my gun was all over the paper at 100 yards. I stopped wasting ammo and switched to PH's spare (and later he let me use his very sweet personal gun). That night I couldn't sleep fretting over that damn Springfield. Got up and took it out of the case. After going over it, I grabbed it by the barrel to put back in the case. Something didn't feel right. I grasped the fore end and ... the barrel wiggled! It had somehow come loose from bedding. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I didn't get the action and new barrel rebedded until three days before leaving. I suspect the epoxy wasn't thoroughly cured by the time I arrived in Africa. It's shooting good now. Hornady bullets arrived two days ago. Anxious to get them loaded and up to the range before going to Montana for deer/elk opener. I now have 200 bullets, a keg of powder, and 250 primers so I should have plenty of time to get any bugs worked out. Too bad I don't have a decent range to work with. There's a local rifle range club but I want no part of joining with all the drama going on out there.
A Labradar solves the short range problem - with a good velocity number, drop is simple math. Of course, for practice (especially practice with wind) there is no substitute for a range long enough to replicate hunting conditions.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back