Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Where should I be hitting paper at 100 yards.

OntarioHunter

I FINALLY got my old Springfield rebarrelled and to the range ... just in time for Africa. It put up a decent group inside the bull diamond in 30 mph gusts at 100 yards. No wind today and someone donated a hundred primers so I have enough ammo to fine tune. How high should 165 gr 30-06 shoot at 100 yards to be in the boiler room at 200 yards? Unfortunately, this gravel pit range does not extend past 100 yards.

Sight in at 200.

Back up to 100 and shoot. That will tell you the exact amount.

Rocket science.
Another 100 yards would put me shooting across the road and from inside a spruce forest. But hey, maybe I can make it work. Just whip out my slide rule and do a little rocket science calculation.

This. MPBR is still very valid in the turret world.

Why does everyone think animals have a 4" kill zone? Assume a deer has a kill zone the size of a volleyball. That is an 8" circle. You read your trajectory chart and set you highest point of arc at 4" inches. Less math and turret turning before the shot.

Tha

Why does everyone think animals have a 4" kill zone? Assume a deer has a kill zone the size of a volleyball. That is an 8" circle. You read your trajectory chart and set you highest point of arc at 4" inches. Less math and turret turning before the shot.

That's not really accurate. You have to account for your group size as well.

Another 100 yards would put me shooting across the road and from inside a spruce forest. But hey, maybe I can make it work. Just whip out my slide rule and do a little rocket science calculation.
The ridiculously talented problem solver that I am says maybe find a place to shoot as far as you want to while hunting.

Tha

That's not really accurate. You have to account for your group size as well.
Group size is accounted for mostly by practice.

I shoot a 30-06 with 180 gr Remington Core Lockt, and find I am about 4" high at 100 to be zeroed at 200. Would guess that with 165 grains, you'd be a bit high at 200 using that 4", but still would get a 275 yard or so MPBR.

Aim small, miss small? Shhh, don't let your post get out too much or more people will wound animals. Keep em thinking it's a prom date shot!

can't imagine intentionally wanting to hit 4" high at 100 yards. To each their own.
For zero at 200, it is what it is. My book says a long shot is 250, and that's where I stop with that round. Works for me and where and how I hunt. Shoot, all but two of the critters I have taken in my life were with an open sight traditional muzzleloader, so 200 yards is almost like the stratosphere for me.

For zero at 200, it is what it is. My book says a long shot is 250, and that's where I stop with that round. Works for me and where and how I hunt. Shoot, all but two of the critters I have taken in my life were with an open sight traditional muzzleloader, so 200 yards is almost like the stratosphere for me.
which is exactly why i'd want 80-150 to be dead nuts on, not 4" off

Group size is accounted for mostly by practice.

I shoot a 30-06 with 180 gr Remington Core Lockt, and find I am about 4" high at 100 to be zeroed at 200. Would guess that with 165 grains, you'd be a bit high at 200 using that 4", but still would get a 275 yard or so MPBR.

That's not how it works though. Even in best a best case scenario group size is going to be 2" at MPBR in hunting conditions. That would mean at MPBR your bullet could still hit anywhere from 3"-5" below your POA, potentially missing vitals if they were truly an 8" circle.

Last edited:
Everything posted on the interweb, including here, is 100% true. When it's right.

a bit over 2" at 100 yards, you can hit your crow for dinner with that accuracy...

Input your data in a few ballistics calculators and see what they output. If you're zeroed at 200 and more than a few inches high at 100, I might want to be looking at my scope height to adjust that...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back