Where do you draw the line on buying local?

Currently in the process of buying a new bike and can’t decide how hard I want to lean on them for free stuff and discounts because they were really cool and let me test ride a bunch of bikes. 🤷‍♂️

Currently in the process of buying a new bike and can’t decide how hard I want to lean on them for free stuff and discounts because they were really cool and let me test ride a bunch of bikes. 🤷‍♂️
To me thats a different animal. Your local guy is supplying you a service before the sale so it would be worth it to me not to be too rough on him I negotiating.

Small business makes the world go round. Give your small business a try to see if they have what you want or if they can order it. If the timelines work, great! But don't go shop at your small business trying everything out, then going to the large chain store and buying it for $10 less. Big stores get volume discounts. If your local shop will give you service instead of the take it or leave approach, I like to buy local. Each business is different and almost always, a big store will beat your local shop for prices. The small shop also has to realize that if they don't have it, no hard feelings when you buy at SW or wherever. No hard feelings with starting at the small shop and then moving on if they don't have the product you want. Many times I have gift cards or such to Cabela's so I will buy the gun or whatever there, then shop the local shop for ammo, etc.

There's only so much you can do. I try to buy local, or just buy from the smaller retailers. But unless I'm looking for extra customer service that day I'm not going drive farther, spending an extra $10-20 in gas, and then pay an extra $10 in markup from a small shop just because that's who they are. Even if you shop on Amazon you can look for sellers who are small businesses...

I'm not sure where I draw the line but I definitely go out of my way to support local shops that provide important services along with the quality customer service that's become extremely rare at box stores. I've lived a couple of places without a local bow shop (mainly Sacramento area) where I had to drive over an hour for competent service. The thought of having to rely on box store bow expertise should drive everyone to support their local archery shop, assuming they offer quality service. I pay extra for the same bow at the local archery shop but I want those guys to stay in business! Also, my financial situation has probably factored into my decision over the years. Finances were definitely tight when I was younger and I'm sure that factored more into my decision on whether to save money or support local businesses.

Well, I went to SW today and stood in line by the scopes for 30 min on my lunch break only to be walked passed.... Then I go grab lunch at the drive thru and no one responded to me for 10 minutes. Then I go to a different drive thru at a different restaurant and didnt get all that I ordered.

Happy Friday, gentlemen! Putting in an order with Midway USA today!

Sometimes I feel like a dick when I haggle prices at the local bow shop, but 10 dollars is 10 dollars.
“Dude I hate to be a dick, but I can get these same broad heads on gohunt for $10 cheaper”
🤦‍♂️
In that situation maybe split the difference because it’s hard to put a price on having local options when you need something last minute.

For items that will need service I am willing to pay a premium for local service. Otherwise the price has to be in the ballpark so to speak.

Id say its a fine line. The guys at the SW here in Helena are good people. Known them and the manager for years. I support them when able, the other stores in town are good also and also know those people. These businesses support our kids and schools in sponsored events etc. Plenty of online places to get what we need/want. Find the one that helps you the most. Its only money and a few bucks difference wont matter in the end.

On a side note, larger businesses will get a larger break from the manufacturer if they order higher volume. Your mom/pop shop might not have the funds to order 100k in product every few months. Msrp is msrp, the difference is a smaller shop might not make as much of a profit as the other guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back