Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

When would you want a pair of Pac boots?

jpcoll01

I have some Schnees Beartooth (insulated) and Timberlines and love them both. Under what conditions would you want a pac boot? I live in KY so it's not something that I've ever encountered? Are they much warmer so would be good in deep snow? My feet got darn cold in Montana this November walking through deep snow even with gaiters.

My feet got darn cold in Montana this November walking through deep snow even with gaiters.
I tried some of these for 1st time on top of my toes (w/heavy socks and boots had enough wiggle room) on a recent morning of hunting (20F). Was toasty and totally forgot they were there. Not sure about long hikes, on those u probably wouldnt need them if boots were even lightly insulated, waterproof, with good wool socks.

D86C1C71-CB67-446C-B5D2-EEC4968F55E7.jpeg

If it is really cold/ deep snow and you aren't walking much. They are warm and comfortable (at least my Kenetreks are), but they are really flexible and, compared to a good mountain boot, I would call them sloppy. I use mine most in the winter around town (I'm in Idaho) or as a cold weather hunting camp boot.

In accumulated snow.
When Riding horseback in below freezing weather
When Stream crossings are a distinct possibility in below freezing weather
Steelhead fishing in Nov/Dec.
Mixed mud/snow

My "hiking boots" are uninsulated so if cold feet are in the agenda, I'll wear my pac's. I do like them for still hunting in the timber. probably throwing back to the heyday of the LL Bean Boot.

There is a difference between "Sitting pacs" and Mobile pacs. The different iterations of the Hoffman pacs shows that....

Last edited:
As little walking as possible !! If you do buy some, buy at least one extra pair of liners. When one set gets wet (from sweat), you want a dry set to put in the boots while the wet ones dry out. If your feet get wet (from the sweaty liners), they will get cold.

I only wear mine when I'm planning on hunting in one spot with little walking. They keep my feet warm but wouldn't want to do any amount of walking in them.

When I was a kid that's what we wore for hunting in November because that's just what you did. Eventually I figured out what most of the above posts note. I haven't owned a pair for probably two decades.

Under what conditions would you want a pac boot?
If you identify as a cowboy? seems like a stylistic choice.

If I'm not hiking super far or it's not steep then I think the insulated Xtratufs are better... waterproof, great sole esp on ice. I can't think of any condition where I'd pick pac boots over xtratufs, though in reality they probably are similar, hence style choice.

1671214905732.png

If I'm not hiking super far or it's not steep then I think the insulated Xtratufs are better... waterproof, great sole esp on ice. I can't think of any condition where I'd pick pac boots over xtratufs, though in reality they probably are similar, hence style choice.

View attachment 255861
XtraTuf Rubber Quality has really gone downhill in the last 5 years. Muck and BOGS have grabbed that space according to our neighbor who services dairies. I have a pair of uninsulated Tingleys that I wear as little as possible.

As little walking as possible !! If you do buy some, buy at least one extra pair of liners. When one set gets wet (from sweat), you want a dry set to put in the boots while the wet ones dry out. If your feet get wet (from the sweaty liners), they will get cold.
Here's a trick an old logger neighbor taught me. Use two pairs of socks and two bread sacks inside the pacs. Start with a pair of street socks. Then pull on the bread sacks. Over the bread sacks go the wool socks. All goes inside the felt liner. Bread socks keep the sweat confined to street socks and street socks keep from wearing holes in the sacks while walking. The wool socks and felt liners stay dry, keeping feet warm. It really works!

View attachment 255861
I can hardly get my mail in my xtrufs without my socks being pulled down and bunched up at my toes. I literally stopped wearing socks with them, and only use them clamming now.

XtraTuf Rubber Quality has really gone downhill in the last 5 years. Muck and BOGS have grabbed that space according to our neighbor who services dairies. I have a pair of uninsulated Tingleys that I wear as little as possible.
Yep... far from tough...

I can hardly get my mail in my xtrufs without my socks being pulled down and bunched up at my toes. I literally stopped wearing socks with them, and only use them clamming now.

Elite or regular, I don’t like the regulars at all… walking around in them sucks, elites are a different ball game IMHO.

Back