Caribou Gear

When would you want a pair of Pac boots?

I can hardly get my mail in my xtrufs without my socks being pulled down and bunched up at my toes. I literally stopped wearing socks with them, and only use them clamming now.
For pac boots I use athletic "sanitary" socks in the first layer. Taped above the ankle. Then wool socks for the second layer, taped above the ankle. Did this skiing and riding too, back in the day.

This amount of effort putting on the armor means I don't go for pacs unless I intend to be out for the whole day.

Getting the mail in the snow is different, old Sorel Caribous, no socks, no laces.

Elite or regular, I don’t like the regulars at all… walking around in them sucks, elites are a different ball game IMHO.
hmm, must be my problem. Regulars. I will say, they're built so well, it's one of the only truly "buy once" purchases I've ever made.

I stick with military surplus extreme cold weather vapor boots (black Mickey mouse or white bunny boots) or mukluks.

I gave up on pacs years ago. Pretty much nothing but Muck Boots now. I hunt very hard and on the move constantly. I usually wear out a pair in less than three hunting seasons. This past season I was hunting pheasants many days when it was zero or colder (F) and my feet didn't get cold. I get them snug fit and usually only one pair of thermal socks or two pair of street socks if all the thermals are in the laundry. My feet never got cold but I had a helluva time with my hands. The Mucks will keep my feet warm enough even when they are sweaty. BUT I AM CONSTANTLY MOVING! I use Muckmaster model now. Their waterfowl model is warmer but less hard rubber and the extra neoprene in uppers didn't hold up well. For ice fishing they make a heavy Arctic model that works great. Heavier weight is not so great for hiking but probably no worse than most pacs.

My biggest beef about pacs (e.g. Sorels which are now just Chinese crap) is the weight and poor ankle support. Mucks are surprisingly good for ankle support and for their size they are relatively lightweight. The neoprene uppers are very comfortable. Yes, they are a pain in the ass to pull on and off but who cares if they keep my feet warm and I don't fall over? The Muck tread design isn't fantastic but seems to work better than I anticipated. In fact, the boot turned to be overall much better than anticipated. My daughter gave me my first pair at Christmas several years ago. Yeeeah, okay thanks. Pfft. What a surprise!

Elite or regular, I don’t like the regulars at all… walking around in them sucks, elites are a different ball game IMHO.
I wore some insulated regulars from about 2012-2020 for probably average 60 partial days/year, and they were good. When it was time to replace I went with elites and I'm glad I did.

If you identify as a cowboy? seems like a stylistic choice.

If I'm not hiking super far or it's not steep then I think the insulated Xtratufs are better... waterproof, great sole esp on ice. I can't think of any condition where I'd pick pac boots over xtratufs, though in reality they probably are similar, hence style choice.

View attachment 255861
The rubber on the new chinese extra toughs last one or two seasons before they crack and leak. I have an old pair that are 12 years old and still going strong. The wife has been through 3x in the last 5 years, all cracked and leaked at the flex points.

Etxtra toughs around the house, otherwise for me its Hoffmans.

I got a set of steel toe Hoffman pacs about a month ago for work and they have been far superior to my muck boots. I don’t find them sloppy at all and would feel comfortable wearing them in the hills. I’m actually mad at myself for not investing in a set 10 years ago for personal use. I think they are definitely worth it and am surprised by most people on here saying they’re not

Here's a trick an old logger neighbor taught me. Use two pairs of socks and two bread sacks inside the pacs. Start with a pair of street socks. Then pull on the bread sacks. Over the bread sacks go the wool socks. All goes inside the felt liner. Bread socks keep the sweat confined to street socks and street socks keep from wearing holes in the sacks while walking. The wool socks and felt liners stay dry, keeping feet warm. It really works!
I've read about other people who use the plastic bag as a barrier to prevent everything getting wetted out. I have never tried it, but I think it would work.

they are heavy but l think that they are the most versitile of the different kinds of snowboots. l wear them everywinter for pretty much anything that doesn't require a hard toe boot.

Here's a trick an old logger neighbor taught me. Use two pairs of socks and two bread sacks inside the pacs. Start with a pair of street socks. Then pull on the bread sacks. Over the bread sacks go the wool socks. All goes inside the felt liner. Bread socks keep the sweat confined to street socks and street socks keep from wearing holes in the sacks while walking. The wool socks and felt liners stay dry, keeping feet warm. It really works!

One of the goofiest things I have seen on HT.

Last edited:
I have Kenetrek Grizzlies that need a D-ring replaced. Well broke in and comfortable. Have 2 pairs of liners.
Might wear them to the dump today, but will most likely wear the Lowa Superwarm Tibets.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are wearing pac boots on horseback?
Even with oversized stirrups I can't get my snow boots to slide in comfortably.
This has been my experience. Nothing worse than riding with just your toes in the stirrups. Of course my size fourteens could be part of the problem.

I have a pair of Schnees extremes I wear with gaiters for any and all late season hunts in the snow. Certainly not as stout as regular boots, but I've not had an issue with ankle support when wearing them. Feet stay warm and dry all day. They are heavy but I'll take that over cold feet. 🤷‍♂️

This has been my experience. Nothing worse than riding with just your toes in the stirrups. Of course my size fourteens could be part of the problem.
I never had a problem getting Sorels into overshoe stirrups. Are you using the naked metal bound wood style? I wear a size ten

Back