When should I be happy

Preacher shaner

I have a friend who has worked up a couple of load's for me in the past. I don't care how on my gun is I don't got out past 500 yds. I would do this with off the shelf stuff. I had him load up some 6.5 cm for me and told him 5 Rd group moa or less and I would be happy. It ended up like 3/4 moa. But I am working on my rem 700 3006. New trigger stock and I am putting a Leupold on it with CDS.
Now with that how tight do I need to be to reach out to 500 yards with that scope.
I know there is no such thing as to tight of a group but he will never stop playing with it. An I don't have an endless supply or these 165 he partitions. So where do I tell him I am happy.
Thanks

I have a friend who has worked up a couple of load's for me in the past. I don't care how on my gun is I don't got out past 500 yds. I would do this with off the shelf stuff. I had him load up some 6.5 cm for me and told him 5 Rd group moa or less and I would be happy. It ended up like 3/4 moa. But I am working on my rem 700 3006. New trigger stock and I am putting a Leupold on it with CDS.
Now with that how tight do I need to be to reach out to 500 yards with that scope.
I know there is no such thing as to tight of a group but he will never stop playing with it. An I don't have an endless supply or these 165 he partitions. So where do I tell him I am happy.
Thanks
I dont hunt past 400.

My 2 cent SWAG -- 100yd bench group size x 2 x max yards / 100 should be less than 8 inches. For example .7" groups from bench at 100y x 2 (for field conditions) x 450/100 = 6.3" === good to go at 450.

Last edited:
A 1 inch group translates to a 10 inch group at 1000 yards. So if all things are equal, and errorless, then you'll hit a deer all day long.

However, because we are finite beings, we imput error into the equation with a myriad of variables. That is what limits effective range. Just because a gun can shoot that far accurately, does not mean I can.

If you had a 1MOA group or less, I'd be happy. If you couldn't produce results at 500yds, I'd suggest some shooting instruction. Having a second set of eyes watching your mechanics will do wonders.

1 MOA would make me happy at any distance. But if your express purpose is to shoot 500yds, then the tighter the better. I don't have a math brain like VikingsGuy, but just know that every little inch, half-inch, or whatever is compounded with distance.

Besides all that, man 500yds is a long poke in field conditions. Everybody has to have their own limit. I ring the steel 10 out of 10 at 500yds on a calm day on a bench rest, but I know myself better than to try that in the hills. My personal limit in a hunting situation is 400yds and that is if the situation lines up perfectly, I'm not out of breath, the wind is calm, and I have plenty of light. Most of the time you can get closer and make a shot that is more reasonable.

5" at 500 is doable, IF you are up to it!
While i shoot to 600 often, when presented a shot at 550 yards in the field, i closed the distance till the deer started getting fidgety, 400 yards.
I made an impromptue bench rest, wind was dead calm, and had enough ambient light.
1 shot counted for 1 deer harvested.

If you like moa, or less, figure one inch-ish, per 100 yards and you will be fine. Based on what I have seen about your experience and comprehension, I would not even consider pushing it that far in field conditions.
My longest kill shot so far is 375 from shooting sticks. And it was a 1 and done. I have more at the 300eah yard mark. That has always been with box rounds. Never hand loads. And it was with a straight 4 x12 scope and just knowing my drop and using hold over. I can take my old 7mag and hit steel all day at 600 off of shooting sticks. But I want to be more precise in my shooting that's why I ask, to some on here dumb questions. And to date my longest shot I have made was 1150 and 1275. Now that was somebody else's set up not mine. Thanks for the help

Based off from a average FPS if 2850 from the Nosler reloading manual, that bullet runs out of the recommended impact velocity just after 500 yards. Do you know how fast it is shooting? I always want to know this info before I start practicing to shoot that far on a animal.

A7A3CB5B-A65F-4928-8395-E80B4F456316.png

When I was and in a lot better shape I would have taken a shot at any rang. But I have grown up a lot and for me and what I know I can do I don't feel right for me past 400. I want my set up to
Perform well beyond what I feel safe with. I am putting together a 30-06 with 165 partitions. With all that I have looked at and people I have spoken with 400 should be well within there rang. But until I have the rifle complete and the load where I want it there is a lot of unknowns. So I am playing it safe and finding people that know more than my self that I can run things past. I don't know much but I do know my limitations.

If your gonna shoot to 400 you might as well shoot a lot farther. Nothing I know of will shoot to 400 yds without hold over by the shooter. With that, once you have to hold over or adjust the reticule if you want, it become's much more about shooting and less about the cartridge. What difference does it make at 400 yds if you have to hold over x inch's with your 300 mag or x inch's with your 30-30, you better become a shooter!

@Preacher shaner
Make sure he is loading your rounds at an adequate velocity. You can have great group size but low velocity. No point in having a ¼ moa gun if your rounds are traveling 2000fps from the muzzle.

And anything at 1 moa or better is fine for most hunting.

Try this:
IMR4350 Winchester or Nosler brass Federal 210 primer (or 210 match) Nosler 165 gr. Accubonds or Partitions. 57.4 grs. works for me with both bullets. Excellent accuracy. (Work up the load in your rifle. Some place from 56-58 grs. with either of these powders should work very well.)

H4350. (The rest the same from above.)

What difference does it make at 400 yds if you have to hold over x inch's with your 300 mag or x inch's with your 30-30, you better become a shooter!

Well the velocity matters. Shoot a 30-30 400 yards and the bullet may well just bounce off the animal. Plus you are going to need a 40 MOA rail to lob that 30-30 that far. Lol

You can be happy when it's a ragged hole...so it can drive you nuts when you get a half inch flyer. That is essentially what we chase although we're aiming for minute of basket ball most of the time.

Bullet will bounce off huh?

Ok, maybe not bounce off or need a 40 MOA rail. However, it sure won’t do much good. With a average velocity of 2100 FPS it at the muzzle it is only good to 100 yards to maintain the minimum 1800 FPS that a Partition has. On the other hand, a Win Mag has what it needs past 600. You can continue to claim it doesn’t matter. I like a good ethical shot threads.
3E6C63C5-75EE-46FD-B896-F14411FA1B0A.png5490A0AE-DE19-4A5D-B889-6BE6C3ECD2A5.png

Back