When Hunting became shooting.

BS. Bow hunting is a black eye on our sport and the anti's are already keying in on bow hunters.
I not quite sure I agree with that. I’d say the anti’s are keying In on anything hunting related.

There are plenty of jackasses out there in rifle seasons who grab the gun out of the safe and the first shot they fire all year is at the animal they are hunting with no idea if the gun is still sighted in correct or not.
Some have taken to walking away from game instead of toward it just to best their previous long shot, another stupid choice IMO. Not sure why people feel they have turned into Bob Lee Swagger the second they pick up their gun.
I hear guys on the property boarder to me that will go through 2 boxes of shells on the firearm opener and claim they never got one. Everything was 300 yards and running!!! The PA firearm season is mayhem. If you want to see and hear some bad gun hunting just attend the first Saturday here.
The list is dumbness displayed can go on and on just as the list can be endless with bow hunting.

I personally hunt with every weapon allowed in seasons and Can only hope most people here on HT try to be better than the way below average of others that possibly give the sport a bad name.

Last edited:
You know, back in the recurve days, if that was your sport, that was your sport. Everyone knew it was hard, losing an animal was anathema (there weren't nearly as many in those days) and, just like other hard sports requiring muscle memory, you had to shoot continually. You shot year round; hunted rabbits, squirrels, pine cones, gopher mounds.

Then compounds, without a doubt more efficient weapons came along, complete with all kinds of sights, releases, etc., etc., etc. You had to have the latest, greatest, and suddenly, everyone was an expert. Some are, of course, and shoot all the time to develop their sport, but just like the folks that buy a $3000 rifle, $3000 scope and watch a few videos and think they can shoot game at 600 yards, many aren't. Pretty routine to hear about 50 and 60 yard shots, and just like all those 600 yard shots with a rifle, most fail to get a signed and notarized agreement from the deer or elk that it will not take a step, which is the difference between lungs and gutshot or scapula hit.

Not saying we need to go back to recurves and longbows, though many are. From the posts here, looks like lots of people are shooting trad bows without the devotion to practice and the ethics of only taking sure shots too. The point is that you don't sign up for a tennis tournament after not having played for 11 months, practiced for a week, and expect to win. The difference is that you still get a little exercise playing tennis and no harm in losing as an amateur. Very different when you gut shoot an animal.

Asked a friend recently how hunting season was going. He said, great, he was into animals a lot, and within 30 yards of a great bull, but there were always cows behind it, and he was certain of a pass through so didn't take the shot: with his longbow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I not quite sure I agree with that. I’d say the anti’s are keying In on anything hunting related.

There are plenty of jackasses out there in rifle seasons who grab the gun out of the safe and the first shot they fire all year is at the animal they are hunting with no idea if the gun is still sighted in correct or not.
Some have taken to walking away from game instead of toward it just to best their previous long shot, another stupid choice IMO. Not sure why people feel they have turned into Bob Lee Swagger the second they pick up their gun.
I hear guys on the property boarder to me that will go through 2 boxes of shells on the firearm opener and claim they never got one. Everything was 300 yards and running!!! The PA firearm season is mayhem. If you want to see and hear some bad gun hunting just attend the first Saturday here.
The list is dumbness displayed can go on and on just as the list can be endless with bow hunting.

I personally hunt with every weapon allowed in seasons and Can only hope most people here on HT try to be better than the way below average of others that possibly give the sport a bad name.
I had a friend who said he would take up bowhunting if he went hunting because in rifle hunting all you had to do was put the X on the animal and pull the trigger. Then he got an opportunity to hunt, and, (with a borrowed rifle) a box of shells later, was a little sheepish. No telling how many animals he wounded. Thank goodness never hunted again.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use a rifle anti’s say you’re a coward for shooting an innocent animal with a high powered rifle.
If you do it with a bow, much less a recurve or a spear, you’re inhumane and primitive causing unnecessary suffering.
It is the hunting and the hunter they don’t like, not the method.

I don’t know at what distance hunting becomes shooting, but I do know that I wish I had taken a 450 yard cross canyon shot on a bull last night instead of the rushed 150 yard shot I took that was deflected by a branch. It was hard to think happy thoughts on the hike out.

I think we all (or most) could agree on the following statements:
1. Technology advancements give people (who don't know any better) a false sense of ability.
2. Each hunter must assess their own abilities to make the most ethical kill possible. The game we chase deserve as much.
3. The us vs. them mentality does not produce positive change. Education and experience do.

BS. Bow hunting is a black eye on our sport and the anti's are already keying in on bow hunters
Sounds to me like you can't hack it with a bow so you just shoot your mouth off about it. Usually pre teens and a little older act this way. That or you can't road hunt with a bow so you don't like it. Either way carry on.

A deer can survive whatever the hell did this. So yes some are gonna end up not recovered from an arrow or bullet...thats hunting.

If you use a rifle anti’s say you’re a coward for shooting an innocent animal with a high powered rifle.
If you do it with a bow, much less a recurve or a spear, you’re inhumane and primitive causing unnecessary suffering.
This post needs to be bold and caps

BS. Bow hunting is a black eye on our sport and the anti's are already keying in on bow hunters.

Buzz's post is spot on.
I have seen more animals get away from a rifle than a bow. Also found more arrow parts in animals living years after the hit. Have not found nearly the bullets. Sorry you have had bad experiences but I believe unity is the answer not taking something away from outdoorsmen. I hate 4 wheelers but will be the last to bash any riders who enjoys the outdoors and pays with his voting to keep it there.

Exactly !
you should hear the weeping and teeth gnashing when
a harpoon is used on a whale.
any and all trapping
rifles --see above by MTGOMER, plus ,"how can you call it fair chase" when your the only one with a gun
Bow. again see remark by MTGomer --as an aside, one group lost their minds when they found out geese are hunted with a bow
We have shown them pictures of cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens on a ranch and then pictures of meat in a market -

a colossal waste of time trying to reason with them

To repeat, mtgomer---it is the hunt and the hunter they hate, not the method.

If I do it right, Hunting becomes Shooting when I flick the safety off.

Everything that leads up to that point was hunting.

I can be a good hunter and a poor shooter on game...But the better hunter I am, The less good of a shooter I have to be.....

I'm surprised how much animosity there is against bow hunters. My own thought was I'm way too terrible at hunting to even consider it. At this point I need all the help I can get, good optics, a reliable and powerful enough rifle to handle a slightly off perfect shot. As I start sucking less, than maybe I'll consider upping the difficulty quotient again.

I dont feel any animosity toward bow hunters here. I think a point was just made that to those outside the community, bow hunting can and does look 'inhumane'. I have even seen the sentiment from foreign hunters (Brits, mainly) - people that shoot deer regularly, hunt birds and small game, etc. that feel it is not an ethical method of take because its not the most effective tool for the job.

I do not agree, but I think there is a valid point to be made.

I just had a round ball deflected shooting at a whitetail behind the house. Path looked clear, luckily directed into a tree rather than a non-vital of the doe. Lame. Felt better after following footprints in the snow for a quarter mile and seeing no blood, having no idea what happened - went back to the spot and tried to figure out the path, and there was the fresh entry into the tree at least a foot off what looked a clear shot at the time. Would a 30-06 have been deflected? Maybe not...

Does not matter the weapon used, there will always be the ones that are not capable at any range. mtmuley
some people have troubles loading a weapon. Most have issues when they are lucky and harvest and take crazy photos of the gun pointing at themselves and others

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back