Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

When do you think it is time to replace a vehicle?

2rocky

My 2001 GMC sierra 4 door diesel with 4WD has just turned 200,000 miles. We bought this used in 2003 as our "Family car" and it is my wife's Daily driver. It pulls our 20 ft stock trailer without a bit of hesitation and just did a 2500 mile trip to Wyoming and back.

It has been paid off for more than a few years but I've noticed as of late the repair bills seem to be growing, more for the components around the motor. The latest was a Prindle switch on the transmission, before that, front end, Power steering hoses, radio, etc. etc.

Now with a 15.5 year old daughter, is it reasonable to hold on to this truck as her vehicle or would you trade it in on a newer used vehicle of the same value? $8-10,000

Replacing...

Given the price of fuel and service today, I'm considering switching back to gas. The diesel is great for towing (3 big trips a year, once a month shorter). Thoughts?

Of all my trucks, I have found that somewhere around 200K is pretty much my jump off point. The repairs will start to out weight payments fairly quickly.

My rule of thumb is when repairs start to exceed what you would be paying on a monthly payment on a newer vehicle. On my last truck that was about 230,000 miles. Replaced the rear end, was needing to replace the front end, just wear and tear eventually piling up on it.

My rule of thumb is when repairs start to exceed what you would be paying on a monthly payment on a newer vehicle. On my last truck that was about 230,000 miles. Replaced the rear end, was needing to replace the front end, just wear and tear eventually piling up on it.

Yep, that's about my stance as well :cool:

99 F350 diesel cc, 330,000 and next to nothing for repairs. Maybe 4k total over 13 years.
Just got back from AZ elk and leave tomorrow for WY antelope. Utmost confidence in this rig. If it's costing you money I would do as mentioned above.

Last edited:
99 F350 diesel cc, 330,000 and next to nothing for repairs. Maybe 4k total over 13 years.
Just got back from AZ elk and leave tomorrow for WY antelope. Utmost confidence in this rig. If it's costing you money I would do as mentioned above.

I'm not there yet, but getting closer.

My '01 F250 has 230K on it. I just spent close to 1k on the front end. New ball joints all around and new shocks(Bilstein 5100's). I've had some minor repairs, but nothing I've felt led to have a stealership fix. Oil leak on my HPOP, fixed myself for $100 bucks and a Saturday. Honestly I don't see getting rid of the truck unless there is a repair that looks to be a major engine failure. I had the transmission rebuilt over 100k miles ago, no issues there.

The bottom line is whether or not you trust it. Yes, it may be costing you in repairs, but for every repair, you are closer to a totally reliable vehicle. As long a the truck still suits you, I would keep it. You also have to figure in the cost of license and insurance. Here, it is terribly expensive to drive a new truck. I have a 97 F-150 that my kid drives that costs about $230 a year in license and insurance. My 2010 Tundra costs more than that in just license fees.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back