Caribou Gear Tarp

When do you start looking?

ScottP

Hey guys,

I live in Northern Colorado, but have only been here one season so just getting into the shed hunting. Anyone know when the mule deer start dropping antlers? I've seen a bunch of deer on some S facing slopes that are kind of snow-free, and I'm getting a bit of cabin fever.

How about the elk? they seem to be much later, as last year I was spotting small bulls with antlers in mid-april and picking up sheds with blood still on the bases at the same time.

You've got the timing down. Deer in a few weeks. Big bulls will be growing when the little ones are dropping.

You've got the timing down. Deer in a few weeks. Big bulls will be growing when the little ones are dropping.

cool, I'll hang out till the end of this sunny and warm weather we are having and hit a few slopes before they get covered by the next storm. then repeat.

A buck I'm watching dropped one yesterday or earlier today big ones drop now little ones drop till march. Elk sheds plan on Easter most big ones drop around then just keep a close eye on them. Good luck

Cool. I need to figure out where the big mulie bucks are wintering... went out for 45min before dark last night and found several large groups of 10+ antlerless and spike/forks with the optics, but no big ones. Probably further off the highway ;), although I had to climb 600 ft elevation to get up there.... I'll keep after it, good excuse to stop on the way home for work now that days are getting longer.

I wish the elk dropped earlier... been watching a bachelor group of big bulls that are on the public right now. Hard to say where they will be in 3months.

Back