Yeti GOBOX Collection

When do you start buying points for kids?

AtenJones

So, I've got a 9 month old little boy and I absolutely cannot wait to start hunting with him. Obviously that's going to be quite a ways off still, but I started thinking last night (while he refused to sleep at 3AM), about when I could start buying him points. I know some states don't have restrictions on when you can start buying licenses, but I wasn't sure when I could start buying him points. I assume around 10-12 or so, but are there any states that start earlier? Also, on a separate question - what are some tags that I should consider buying as soon as he's old enough? I know in another decade things might look completely different - but it's February and I'm trying to keep my brain occupied in-between diaper changes.

Thanks!

So, I've got a 9 month old little boy and I absolutely cannot wait to start hunting with him. Obviously that's going to be quite a ways off still, but I started thinking last night (while he refused to sleep at 3AM), about when I could start buying him points. I know some states don't have restrictions on when you can start buying licenses, but I wasn't sure when I could start buying him points. I assume around 10-12 or so, but are there any states that start earlier? Also, on a separate question - what are some tags that I should consider buying as soon as he's old enough? I know in another decade things might look completely different - but it's February and I'm trying to keep my brain occupied in-between diaper changes.

Thanks!

I've wondered the same thing. My lil man just turned 1 this month.

I started my daughters as soon as they were of eligible age, 12 here in CO. Depending on where the birthday falls, you may be able to apply before the given age, as long as their birthday falls within the season.

Understand that the points systems are likely to change during the time you are the person paying for their points. Prices for points will go up faster than inflation generally, same is true for the tags, allocations of tags to non-residents will likely decrease and additional restrictions such as some land being removed from access by non-residents (NM did this).

I also predict WY, and possibly CO, are going to reduce the percentage of tags for a unit that are awarded based on preference points. CO and WY are broken and have decades of people lined up very orderly as wait to draw a given tag. The problem is not that demand exceeds supply but rather your kid will be 50 years from drawing a blue chip CO deer unit. The low odds to draw a random sheep or moose tag in WY (25% of 20% of tags go to non-residents each year) is the only way your kid will draw a non-resident tag in the next 50 years in WY. Most likely the UT model of 50% of tags to go in random bucket will be what WY ends up with though maybe not. Logic says WY and CO have to do something to keep new entrants buying into the point system.

I read a lot of posts of upset people when a state like NM took the non-resident DIY bucket and cuts down to 6% of public tags (is less than 6% with the landowner tags added back in, right?) after years of being much more than that. As long as you expect change and all change to hurt then is not so bad.

MT now allows you to purchase points as long as you are at least 1 year old even for species during a waiting period. I tried to purchase points for my twins last fall but the system could not handle an age of zero so FWP would not allow me to purchase the points.

MT now allows you to purchase points as long as you are at least 1 year old even for species during a waiting period. I tried to purchase points for my twins last fall but the system could not handle an age of zero so FWP would not allow me to purchase the points.
Did not know that. Looks like I have more states to keep track of for them. My 10yo got his first points this year in AZ...

Wow! I didn't realize that either! Is that just a preference point for the Combo license or is it possible to buy bonus points for all species like that? The Montana system still has me confused a little bit.

And yes, I realize that things are absolutely going to change by the time he's old enough to hunt - and there's a good chance that it will be for the worse. I just want to set him up for the best opportunity possible while we still can. Some people buy their kids savings bonds, apparently I buy mine preference points!

9 months old? One year old? The hunting application services have taken their game to a new level to get some drunk on their AAA koolaide. As if it is not worth hunting without a LE tag in hand. As others have pointed out, every state lottery will change over time and all for the worst for NR’s. I have 3 sons I took hunting whenever they wanted while growing up. Even had my own land loaded with game. Today all are grown and moved away. None hunt nor fish at all. Their choice. I built 8 WY points for them at only $8/point, but when WY jacked up the fee I dumped them all. It’s just no where near worth gambling money when every state has proven they are in the business of profiting by selling the opportunity to not hunt. You stand to lose a pile of coin on house of card tag systems that will be long collapsed by the time your kids are hunting age anyway. If they are ever interested.

Hopefully it will not evolve to the extent that one would need points just to be able to acquire a license (tag) to hunt. It will be a sad day if a kid cannot hunt because parents didn't start accumulating points at his or her birth.

I started buying our children points in WY, CO & AZ once they were eligible; it was super cheap back then or at least until they turned 18, then it got expensive overnight! I'm glad I did it and it's up to them if they want to continue it or not. By the time they finish college, they should be able to pull some decent tags in a few states.

I started buying our children points in WY, CO & AZ once they were eligible; it was super cheap back then or at least until they turned 18, then it got expensive overnight! I'm glad I did it and it's up to them if they want to continue it or not. By the time they finish college, they should be able to pull some decent tags in a few states.

Yes if it was still dirt cheap, that’s another thing. But as we all know, those days are long gone. Trophy hunting is all about money now, and will only worsen with time. A truly responsible parent will take that coin and invest it for their kid’s Education and future. Not a hobby they may not want to pursue. Kids should be learning their skills in general areas anyway.

One thing I did was to make sure I had enough points built up that I could partner with my kids and get them a tag the year they could hunt. I did that on Utah Antlerless elk and General deer and Wyoming Pronghorn.

Yes if it was still dirt cheap, that’s another thing. But as we all know, those days are long gone. Trophy hunting is all about money now, and will only worsen with time. A truly responsible parent will take that coin and invest it for their kid’s Education and future. Not a hobby they may not want to pursue. Kids should be learning their skills in general areas anyway.

You really are somethin else man. A guy asks a question and you come back with what a "truly responsible parent" should do. Pretty ironic seeing how you came in my thread talking about how you allowed your own kids to be brainwashed by trailer trash from Arkansas.

To the OP. First off, Congrats on the baby! Hope all is well and that you're finally getting some sleep.
I started a similar thread a few years ago when my son was born. I got some similar responses as well as a few decent ideas.

Here's a link: https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?262133-Tag-suggestions-for-my-young-buck

For the eastern guys, for what it is worth, I don't believe there is a minimum age to start building points in Georgia - and the points are free. What is there in Georgia worth building points for? - Alligators... and some limited entry state lands/youth hunts. Haven't been yet so don't know if any of it is worth it actually, but gonna try Alligator DIY in the next year or two and some of their supposed quality deer hunts.

You really are somethin else man. A guy asks a question and you come back with what a "truly responsible parent" should do. Pretty ironic seeing how you came in my thread talking about how you allowed your own kids to be brainwashed by trailer trash from Arkansas.

To the OP. First off, Congrats on the baby! Hope all is well and that you're finally getting some sleep.
I started a similar thread a few years ago when my son was born. I got some similar responses as well as a few decent ideas.

Here's a link: https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?262133-Tag-suggestions-for-my-young-buck

The truth hurts sometimes. Some people just don’t want to hear it. And I did not “let my kids be brainwashed by trailer trash”. I fought it all the way. That ex was college educated computer systems analyst who dumped her career cold turkey. Unilateral decision I had no control over. One son finally came back to me when he realized the truth. Not brainwashed but still doesn’t hunt. But all three are perfect examples of why it’s not a good plan to buy into expensive unpredictable hunting schemes as an investment for babies. Gotta stand back and look at the whole picture. This is the truth like it or not. Much much better investments!

I started buying points for my boys when they got their hunting licenses in Maryland and showed interest in the outdoor lifestyle. One son is 22 and the other is 20. Between school, sports, and now college, neither has been on a hunting trip with the points I have been buying. One son did hunt antelope in NM when he was a senior in high school (we had a blast).

Both have about ten points each three different states. I hope to get out west with them but have wondered if the investment was worth it. I guess time will tell.

This is a little bit of a workaround, but some states allow tag transfer to minors. Utah and Az I believe allow this. You or your wife could build points until they are of age to hunt and then start putting in for tags.

Awesome, thanks for the link! And we were finally starting to get some sleep, until he just got the chicken pox last week! He's too young to get vaccinated still, and somehow picked them up - so that's been all kinds of fun. Other than that, it's been fantastic!

As far as me being a "Responsible" parent. I don't really need to explain myself, or how I spend my money, to anyone. However, since you're dying to know: I work at a university, so his college will be free. If he wants nothing to do with hunting, and wants to spend every weekend underwater-basket-weaving, then that's totally fine by me. I'll stop buying him points at that time, and I'll consider it a donation to the state fish and game - can't have too much money going to conservation.

Also, as far as kids needing to hone their skills in a general unit: What difference does it make? If he has the opportunity to kill a 400" bull in a limited entry unit when he's 13, that'd be awesome! How is that a bad thing? If he burns 12 points and bumps every single elk he sees, who cares? Also, who's to say that he wouldn't cut his teeth in an OTC unit while he's still building even MORE points. Then, when he's 18, and knows what he's doing, we can go on the hunt of a lifetime together - before I have a heart attack and die at age 53 or something. Also - we live in Ohio. He's going to have PLENTY of time to learn how to hunt while chasing whitetails on his grandpa's farm.

So - I appreciate the concern, but we're good - thanks.

Last edited:
What many folks fail to take into account is that lives change. Rarely do things turn out like you plan from the beginning. Often they turn out totally, totally different. And you can most definitely plan on change when it comes to hunting state lottery hostage point schemes. I've got over 300 combined points and almost nothing is the same in any state system since I started in 1996. Nothing is free. If you work at a college, maybe the education will be subsidized. Maybe you will change jobs and lose that. Maybe the entitlement will be phased out. I was promised to be hired off my contract job within 6 months......10 years ago. Didn’t happen. I thought my US ex was legit. She had a great high paying career with a Republican mindset, even worked Reagan’s campaign. Turned out to be a controlling, manipulative slug unemployed for 20 years. Never planned to have my life savings and 45 acres of my hard earned land stolen by a slug. Never planned for that ex to steal my children's college funds. Never planned to be 57 years old, happily married to a Chinese national on the other side of the planet. But ultimately that's where I found a quality life partner with integrity and a real work ethic. Didn't expect none of my 3 sons would have any interest in hunting. Everything turned out totally different. So this is just one person’s story as an example of what could happen. Now decades later, I thank god I didn't invest but a few pennies in one ponzi scheme for the sons.

But for those with lots of disposable income who know they will always be loaded, and who are good with making potentially massive donations to state game departments, perhaps hunting lotteries are a good investment for their babies. Good luck to all. I hope you make the right decision for both you & your babies.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back