when do you show a puppy a caged coon

RUTTIN

im not sure if im going about this right this is my first hound.but ive been dragging around a hot dog on a piece of string. my puppy is definetly doing better at trailing each day. he is only 9 weeks old. when do i show him a caged coon.and tips would be much appreciated

Let a pup be a pup, to many dogs get ruined by burning them out young on seeing to many caged coons and piss drags, I would just work on basic obedience and handling with the pup till around 6 months or so let the pup mature some. You can expose it to some scent ect. around that age but don;t overdo it, don't force the pup to hunt, the pup has to want to do it on his own. I can tell when my pups are at the age to start I can see it in there body language etc. that they want to go. I don't use drags, roll cages etc, cause I always start mine behind a older dog, so someone else might help you there, but the key thing I am stressing, don;t overdo it, let the pup be a pup and grow up first, to many people ruin good young dogs by forcing them to hunt before there ready.

9 weeks is too young to be messing with a live coon. I have trained many dogs without the use of a pup trainer, it takes more time but it can be done.

I have a 9 month old walker right now that has not yet hunted with an older dog. She will consistantly tree coon by herself, and is fast becoming the best hound I have ever owned.
I used a roll cage 1 time with her, then I hoisted it up a tree using a rope to raise and lower it to get her excited. The next day I let the coon go out in the open whare there was only one small tree to climb. I let her bark treed for about an hour, then shot the coon out. She was about 5 month old at the time, and was able to tree her own coon ever since. I dont care what anybody says, once you get them started there is no substitute for a lot of hard hunting!

Good luck,and let us know how your doing!

today i took my puppy to the park i drug the hot dog on a trail for about a hundred yards. and told him to find it he gets so excited runs around back and forth until he gets the scent and then he is gone he followed it twice tonight for about a hundred yards i then put him on his leash he was so excited all he would do is run around and look for a scent but i kept making him heel. ive had him for 2 weeks and he now knows how to heel and to stay. ive had bird dogs before but this pup is one of the smartest and fastest learning dogs ive seen.hope im not ruining him by teaching him to trail a hot dog but it gets me and him excited he does better each time and i just praise the heck out of him all i have to say is find it and his nose is to the ground and hes on his way. iv e ordered lion scent should be here any day will add a little to his hotdog drag and see what happens.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back