What's You're Opinion?

Muley_Stalker

This video was posted on a hunting gaming forum. They think this guy is great. I think he's an idiot. I'd like to see what you guys think and show how real hunters feel about this. He made a series of mistakes and a moose suffered for it. Notice he turned off comments. So, let's see how comments would have gone.

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks.

I haven't been around because I got too old to hunt anymore. I knew it would happen one day and that day came.

Last edited:
Some stories that guy has……….

And WTH is a hunting game forum? A forum to talk about hunting critters on video games?

I’m at a loss.
Yeah, most games have a forum to go with it. In this case a very small percentage are real hunters. Most are just out to slaughter as many animals as possible and have no clue about real hunting.

Maybe, that's why they like this guy?

I didn't know there were any hunting games big enough to have a forum. Only hunting game I know of is RDR2 and it's not so much a hunting game as a game with semi-realistic hunting in it

The Hunter Classic tries to be somewhat realistic. It's about a 12 year old game and still has a good following.

Since be forced to retire from real hunting due to old age and med problems. The game has given me a way to keep hunting. Even if it is virtually. It beats watching TV. I've tried to make it as hard and real as possible by not using any aids. I never thought i'd come to this but after hunting for 70 years it's hard to give it up. I call it old man hunting. :)

Yeah theHunter classic and Call of the Wild are the best hunting simulation games that have come out in recent memory. I've played both a significant amount, probably ~ 500 hours combined. I grew up with hunting video games, and will always be somewhat interested in where they go as a genre. It was always easier for my parents to justify me having say Cabelas Big Game Hunter 2005 compared to Halo or Call of Duty. The genre has largely died out, with theHunter being the main exception. Classic is a fairly small community nowadays but Call of the Wild is multi platform and has almost 90 thousand reviews just on Steam (PC). I would love to see some actual numbers on COTW - it's had quite the impact. It's an interesting demographic for sure, it's surprisingly popular outside of North America. The devs are based in Sweden if i recall correctly. I haven't seen the particular discussion on this video on theHunter forums but it's understandable that they might have a different view on this compared to most experienced hunters. The average player generally doesn't have the real world experience. Some because they can't hunt in their own country, some are opposed to it, some are just literal children. Some do have the experience, but they are a minority for sure. The howtohunt guy is legit crazy though, just check his uploads and see the sheer amount of conspiracies he's into. His blacktail videos were interesting I remember, and he did seem super committed to them - but the crazy outweighs the blacktail stories by far nowadays.

The Hunter Classic tries to be somewhat realistic. It's about a 12 year old game and still has a good following.

Since be forced to retire from real hunting due to old age and med problems. The game has given me a way to keep hunting. Even if it is virtually. It beats watching TV. I've tried to make it as hard and real as possible by not using any aids. I never thought i'd come to this but after hunting for 70 years it's hard to give it up. I call it old man hunting. :)
Maybe give Red Dead Redemption 2 a spin, the hunting in the game is as much a side activity as the main game, but I like I said it's at least semi realistic. Good variety of species and weapons in the game as well

I just got into hunting last fall, and being in the PNW, I came across that guy pretty quick. I tried out his howtohunt app, and got rid of it in less than a week.

I found the guy to be pompous, boastful, and off putting. Not saying he’s a liar, and he’s certainly a more successful hunter than I, but it felt like the hunting version of a get rich quick scheme. He’ll talk a lot about how great you will be using this program, but never tell you anything useful to accomplish that goal. Always one subscription level away from all the REAL tips and secrets, no matter what level you’re at.

No thanks.

Yeah theHunter classic and Call of the Wild are the best hunting simulation games that have come out in recent memory. I've played both a significant amount, probably ~ 500 hours combined. I grew up with hunting video games, and will always be somewhat interested in where they go as a genre. It was always easier for my parents to justify me having say Cabelas Big Game Hunter 2005 compared to Halo or Call of Duty. The genre has largely died out, with theHunter being the main exception. Classic is a fairly small community nowadays but Call of the Wild is multi platform and has almost 90 thousand reviews just on Steam (PC). I would love to see some actual numbers on COTW - it's had quite the impact. It's an interesting demographic for sure, it's surprisingly popular outside of North America. The devs are based in Sweden if i recall correctly. I haven't seen the particular discussion on this video on theHunter forums but it's understandable that they might have a different view on this compared to most experienced hunters. The average player generally doesn't have the real world experience. Some because they can't hunt in their own country, some are opposed to it, some are just literal children. Some do have the experience, but they are a minority for sure. The howtohunt guy is legit crazy though, just check his uploads and see the sheer amount of conspiracies he's into. His blacktail videos were interesting I remember, and he did seem super committed to them - but the crazy outweighs the blacktail stories by far nowadays.
Don't forget you can play as Remi in Call of the Wild

COTW will always be more popular because it caters to the non real hunter. They're gamers and just want to shoot a lot of animals without much work on their part. You have to work harder in Hunter Classic to find animals and they don't hang around the same spots like in COTW.

I was a still hunter in my real hunting. I loved hunting that way. I can hunt the same way in Classic and that's what appeals to me. I don't use any of the aids that help players find animals. It might take me all morning to find one bull elk that's worth shooting. Gamers won't put up with that. They want to kill 50 animals in a morning. That's not hunting. Well, that's not virtual hunting anyway.

Anyway, i'm glad to see I was right about this guy.

Every pro hunter I know of teaches you to avoid head on or quartering to shot as it is tough to hit the vitals at that angle. I generally avoid those and take only broadside or partial quartering away where I got a good shot into the vitals for a double lung shot. I consider what I see in the video as unethical especially as a so called professional hunter.

It wouldn't have been as bad if he had hit what he was aiming at. He took 3 shots and missed them all.
I have compassion for animals. In my real hunting I never took anything but double lung shots. Can you imagine how that poor moose suffered with an arrow shot down it's throat?

The idiot seems to think it was funny.

I should add that I am a meat hunter and take animals most trophy hunters would let pass on by. However, I have passed on trophy grade simply because I had no human kill shot available to me. Early in my teens and upto 30s, I tracked way too many wounded animals just because I was not selective enough on shot placement. Now I only take kill shots, usually double lung and have done that since my 40s. I believe ethical hunters also respect their prey and do not take inhumane wounding shots nor try to make it funny to do so. This guy just make my blood boil.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back