Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What's your non-popper dove recipe?

Brandon270

It's opening day today, hope everyone had a successful morning. Everyone is familiar with the bbq dove poppers but who has another way they like to serve up those tasty doves?

I grew up keeping the breasts whole, skin on with wings attached, marinated in a pickling spice, wine and vinegar brine then dredge in flour and shallow fried.

The last couple years I've done a few with just salt, garlic powder and pepper then throw them on the smoker til they are ready.

Last edited:
I peel the breast lobes off, soak them in a brine of water, salt, and brown sugar, for at least a half a day. They really plump up and stay juciy. Then I dry them off and throw them on a very hot grill, both of which helps them crisp up a little, for about two to three minutes a side, being thin they cook quickly and I want them about medium, still pink in the middle. Then I serve them with chimichurri made with cilantro as the leafy matter. I 5 year old daughter called me "an artist of yum" when I first made these, and yes I cried tears of joy a little.

I peel the breast lobes off, soak them in a brine of water, salt, and brown sugar, for at least a half a day. They really plump up and stay juciy. Then I dry them off and throw them on a very hot grill, both of which helps them crisp up a little, for about two to three minutes a side, being thin they cook quickly and I want them about medium, still pink in the middle. Then I serve them with chimichurri made with cilantro as the leafy matter. I 5 year old daughter called me "an artist of yum" when I first made these, and yes I cried tears of joy a little.
Any brine makes a big difference with these lean birds

Wife likes the Italian flavored stuff by Progresso or whatever your store brand is.

Hank Shaw just did a podcast all about doves and there are some ideas for meals.

my grandpa used to make me pluck them (yes very tedious). Grandma then salted them in the fridge overnight then deep fried them whole. I didn't realize it at the time but the salting overnight really dried out the skin for crispy bits. I saw them do that on a TV show recently (maybe MeatEater)

I used to dredge them in seasoned flour (think gizzard breading) and fry the boneless lobes. I think skewered on the grill kabob style would be nice too.

Bottled Carribean marinade, over night preferably.
Wrap in thin bacon then throw on a hot grill to medium rare. Hot grill is key to cooking the bacon

my grandpa used to make me pluck them (yes very tedious). Grandma then salted them in the fridge overnight then deep fried them whole. I didn't realize it at the time but the salting overnight really dried out the skin for crispy bits. I saw them do that on a TV show recently (maybe MeatEater)

I used to dredge them in seasoned flour (think gizzard breading) and fry the boneless lobes. I think skewered on the grill kabob style would be nice too.
You have my attention with the crispy skin and frying them whole. Thank you to the OP for this thread! Been doing the same recipe for 20 years now time to change it up.

Back in the day we would have a dove shoot and bring them back to camp. We beboned the breast meat and put four to six together with wood stick and wrap in bacon. Then grill them on a charcoal grill. We called them dove fillet minion. Not a original idea but simple and good.

Maybe add a sauce to your method for dipping or to drizzle over the birds when they come off the grill. Say a Bourbon butter sauce or if you like strong cheese a gorgonzola butter sauce.

Filet the meat off the bone and sauté in garlic and butter. Serve over brown rice with your favorite veggie as a side.

Also tried this one. Very tasty!

I chop the breast meat into small pieces and then sautée in bacon fat, add spices and heavy cream, and pulse in a food processor to make a pate.

I have sautéed them in oil before with some mushrooms and other random seasonings, tossed them in with some spaghetti noodles. Was pretty good.

Probably could have done something fancier, but I don’t know, typically if I overthink using game meat I’ll end up not doing anything with it and that’s a shame too.

If its just a few dove I'll just toss the breasts in steak seasoning & fry them on cast iron with a bit of oil. Takes less than minute on each side to get med rare. Also tastes better fresh, no freezing beforehand.

Dove Rumaki;
  • Dove breasts
  • 1 slice of bacon per dove
  • 1 can of sliced water chestnuts per 15ish doves
Breast out doves and cut bacon slices in half.
Roll a single dove breast and one or two slices of water chestnut into a piece of bacon.
Use a skewer or toothpick to hold it together and grill 'til the bacon looks lightly cooked.

I was gonna mention deep-frying them whole, but Mthuntr's process sounded even better.
20200907_112207.jpg20200907_112140.jpg

Back