Caribou Gear

What's your elk rifle and cartridge?

Very nice setup! Mine will run faster also but accuracy started to open a bit. Recoil is very mild and almost non existent with a muzzlebrake.
What brass are you running?

Was hoping to get my hands on some ADG but they were sold out when I needed so I got some Bertram. But it’s working so I’ll run it

7mm Remington with handloaded 160 accubonds. Started out a few years ago as a nice looking BDL with pretty wood. After a few years of knocking around Arizona, I got it ceracoated and got a HS Precision stock and Timney trigger. Just recently put the VX5 scope on it. It shoots better than I do!!43954A82-A081-4191-8443-DAB0EF08B369.jpeg

Is it a left handed action, I have a RH action but LH laminated stock... wish someone would make a synthetic stock righ action LH stock, but no one does that I have seen.

Given the severely limited number of LH models out there I think I might have to go full custom if I ever have the money.
Yes, left handed action. I had to order it in. Funny how we left handers don't even have to think to flop our rifle on it's side and reach over to work the action on a RH rifle..
I grew up shooting RH actions...all my shotguns but one are RH or break action. I bought a Benelli super Black eagle in LH. It is almost strange to not have a shell passing by my face...

Yes, left handed action. I had to order it in. Funny how we left handers don't even have to think to flop our rifle on it's side and reach over to work the action on a RH rifle..
I grew up shooting RH actions...all my shotguns but one are RH or break action. I bought a Benelli super Black eagle in LH. It is almost strange to not have a shell passing by my face...

The struggle is real and that part about the shell is soooo true. I've never fired a LH action... or even seen one IRL I'm not sure it would be a surreal experience lol

The boyd's stock I have (see above^) is an interesting option. I'm actually cross eye dominant so it's kinda perfect, I've gotten to the point that while prone or resting on a pack I can support the rifle with my left arm and work the bolt with my right to the point that I can keep my eye in the scope the whole time.

That said I would love to try a true south paw rifle.

The struggle is real and that part about the shell is soooo true. I've never fired a LH action... or even seen one IRL I'm not sure it would be a surreal experience lol

The boyd's stock I have (see above^) is an interesting option. I'm actually cross eye dominant so it's kinda perfect, I've gotten to the point that while prone or resting on a pack I can support the rifle with my left arm and work the bolt with my right to the point that I can keep my eye in the scope the whole time.

That said I would love to try a true south paw rifle.
Funny I built a 243 Ackley improved on a RH Remington 700 action with a custom LH thumbhole stock. Always shooting coyotes from a rest it is perfect to work with my right hand while holding on target...

This year I'll be using a Tikka T3x .30/06 with Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40. Shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX. Hoping to get redemption on the big bull who gave me the slip last year.

I’ve got more than a few choices, but not as many as I’d like...

#1 on the list is a Savage 116 in 7 Rem Mag with a B&C stock, topped with a Leupold VX-6 2x12. Knock on wood, i’ve yet to miss an animal with it.

#2 is a Winchester Model 70 lightweight carbine in .30-06. This was my dad’s rifle for many many years and killed many many elk. It’s due for an upgraded scope as it still has an old Weaver fixed 4x scope.

#3 is a Winchester model ‘94 .30-30 with open sights. I shot my first elk with it (a cow) and someday I want to head back to the Clearwater and give it a second go with the same rifle.

Browning X-Bolt in 270 WSM with a Leupold vx-3 6.5-20x50mm. I really like the Nosler Trophy Grade or Barnes Vortex in the 165 range.

I haven't hunted elk with a rifle for quite awhile-I normally use a Mathews Ovation w/goldtip pro hunters and shuttle t's. Last elk I killed with a rifle was w/a BRNO 602 30-06 Leupold 3x9 and 180gr partitions still have it but now I would probably grab my Colt Lite Rifle .270 Leupold 2.5x8 w/140gr Accubonds.

I shoot a Sako 75 Finnlight in 300 wsm. The rifle and cartridge have proven very effective on elk and other game over the years. Despite all the latest and greatest coming out these days, I would never trade it. I have used factory ammo and hand loads using Barnes and Eldx, and all have performed very well on elk. Nothing like a reliable elk rifle!

I always felt bad for the lefties in the military shooting M4's and M16's with brass damned near bouncing off their noses

I'd like to kill one with my 338 win mag, I still haven't figured out the elk thing.

Back