Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What's your comfort level reloading for others?

I trust my loads in the firearms they were developed for. I have proven my loads in MY guns. I recently loaded for an unfamiliar gun so I used a book load and backed it down a bit then did my normal testing in MY gun.

If it's a load you're familiar with developed in a specific rifle you're familiar with, I wouldn't worry about it. Doesn't sound like you have any particular concerns about the load; I think you said you let your own son use it.

I don't load to push the limit so I wouldn't worry too much about my shells failing in someone else's rifle. I worry more about my potential failure at the loading station. And, of course, there's always a potential failure of the components. A couple years ago a Winchester shotgun primer blew up in my Browning A-5. Still can't understand how that happened. The primer exploded backwards destroying the primer core while leaving its copper primer "shoe" intact in the shell base. The powder in the shell did not detonate although the firing port to the powder was still clear. A piece of the primer lodged in the track for bolt and chewed up the receiver when I attempted to clear the gun (I have since replaced the receiver). While big ammo companies have liability insurance to cover these sorts of unforeseen setbacks, I do not. It's a risk I'm not willing to take and no sensible person should. For example, the recipient might inadvertently pick up a barrel obstruction while hunting and blow up the gun then get a litigation lawyer to blame it on my reloads. I might loan someone my car because both parties should be insured. I would NEVER loan my boat to anyone without insuring it.20201231_002205.jpg

I load all ammo for my family, thousands of rounds and have zero issues doing so.

My family hasn't shot hardly any factory ammo in the last 30 years or so.

I reload for my entire family. They enjoy the savings and the accuracy. Any round that leaves my bench I trust my life with. If I dont trust my life with it, it gets unloaded or goes into the trash can.

I just loaded up 20 rounds of 300WM with 180 NBT using 4350 and LRM for my nephew. It is a load I developed specifically for his rifle while it was in my possession and could take it to the range to verify the loads. I have all the pertinent info recorded and follow it to the letter when making up his rounds. So far he has taken three decent bucks with my reloads in his rifles. Makes a guy kinda proud.

I reloaded for a buddy of mine. He gave me his rifle and I worked up a load for his rifle. This was back in 2010 when everything was cheap.

Never reloaded in bulk for myself. Just doing it at a buddy's place.
I have had 2 guys reload for me and now they are both gone & I don't trust folks that much...

I'm going to loan a rifle to a buddy of mine, so that his kid and my kid can go hunting together next year. I have a good handload for the loaner rifle that would be great for this boy, who is new to hunting. But, I have this little nervous voice, in the back of my head, about sending someone else's kid out to shoot my handloads. The voice says, "what if you screwed up a charge and the rifle explodes?" I've been handloading for 5 years, or so and I've never had anything close to a negative experience. This is a known load to me, I let my kids shoot it and it's a reduced load, using H 4895. I know rationally that it's very safe.

Just curious how others feel about reloading for other people, in terms of safety and peace of mind?
I would not do it. It's not worth the few hundred bucks to set someone up with a budget rifle.

If you have your recipe, I'm sure there's guys that would be happy to load for you.
I'm sure your right. Again the trust issue comes up.
I should have started 15 years ago.
I'd do it myself if the components and all did not cost so much & as rare as Nosler trophy AB 165's in 30-06....LOL
Hell I just paid $400 for 4 boxes of gun nails.

Worst damage I have seen is from underloads.

Just have them buy a couple boxes of Federal blue box factory ammo and take them hunting. Next year they will have some ammo left over to do it again.

The cost of factory ammunition is cheap against the cost of the hunt and concern of the ammunition.

I'm sure your right. Again the trust issue comes up.
I should have started 15 years ago.
I'd do it myself if the components and all did not cost so much & as rare as Nosler trophy AB 165's in 30-06....LOL
Hell I just paid $400 for 4 boxes of gun nails.

Worst damage I have seen is from underloads.
Well,,, I have no reply for that one. I'm not big on trust either really. Every time I shake a mans hand I feel like I need to count my fingers.
BTW, I have cases of gun nails with little use for them anymore. If you ever get into central CA. you can take them with you.

I appreciate all the thoughts and advice. In the end, I asked my friend to use factory ammo (and lo and behold the ideal factory load was actually available online). It would appear that for me, the line of comfort is somewhere between loading for a friend and loading for a friend's kid.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back