What's your comfort level reloading for others?

Dougfirtree

I'm going to loan a rifle to a buddy of mine, so that his kid and my kid can go hunting together next year. I have a good handload for the loaner rifle that would be great for this boy, who is new to hunting. But, I have this little nervous voice, in the back of my head, about sending someone else's kid out to shoot my handloads. The voice says, "what if you screwed up a charge and the rifle explodes?" I've been handloading for 5 years, or so and I've never had anything close to a negative experience. This is a known load to me, I let my kids shoot it and it's a reduced load, using H 4895. I know rationally that it's very safe.

Just curious how others feel about reloading for other people, in terms of safety and peace of mind?

As long as the other guy knows and it wasn’t a hot load, I would not hesitate. If you are a careful loader then the odds of your screw-up probably aren’t any greater than factory.

I am sure a competent lawyer would tell you not to ;)

Last edited:
I used to do it. Loaded for four RUMS. I don't load anything for anybody anymore. And I can count on two fingers the guys I would trust loading for me. mtmuley

I load for family.

What process do you think you could do that is the highest risk?
Charging? Can you double charge 4895 for your case?

Maybe load 20 double weighing each charge. Do it as a special run.
Check each one to ensure it chambers and ejects.
Check each one for oal.
Just do everything you need to make yourself comfortable.

You can’t drive yourself crazy worrying about it.
If you can’t be comfortable with your work, buy a box of factory for him.

Seems like the last two years I’ve gotten more popular with my non-reloading friends. I load for several people and use the same caution/procedures as I do for every round I’ve ever loaded. I don’t load reduced loads though, anything outside of published data I would think twice.

I load with an experienced business associate who does most of the lifting. Yea, I could do it, but I wouldnt load for anyone else, including family.

I don't.

I DO load for myself. FAMILY DO help their selves to my reloads when they are shooting my guns at my house.

I guess I do have a couple guys, GOOD friends I'll hand a box of 00 buck when they ask for it or need it.

The thread has appeared to have branched out a bit from my understanding of OP's question as, "I have a low recoil load for my gun and my kids regularly use it - is a buddy's kid shooting that gun with my load OK?", to "would you load for others and their guns?"

FWIW - I have hand loads for my rifles that my son shoots all the time - and as long as another kid's parents understood the deal, I would have no worries about them pulling the trigger on my load in my gun vs me or vs my son doing the same. In the alternative, I would not load for someone else's rifle, nor would I use a load developed for one rifle in another rifle, even if folks (or me) tried to stick to SAMMI specs.

Again, a good lawyer would layer this reply with warnings such as "intended for external use only, do not swallow" . . .

I absolutely will not do that. With a bright red Sharpie I boldly write my name and RELOADS on top of shell boxes I shoot at the trap range. Not uncommon for some guys to inadvertently pick up someone else's shells. Putting my label up on the marquee ensures no liability if it happens and something goes wrong with a reloaded shell.

I made the mistake of building up two rifles, load development and loading extra rounds for two buddies. They sent off for their CDS turrets and now won't shoot anything else. I wasn't and still am not comfortable loading for them, I have offered multiple times to show them everything and supervise them knock out a few rounds with me but they're lazy....good news is I can't find their powder anywhere.....Im going to ride that excuse to the promise land..

I made the mistake of building up two rifles, load development and loading extra rounds for two buddies. They sent off for their CDS turrets and now won't shoot anything else. I wasn't and still am not comfortable loading for them, I have offered multiple times to show them everything and supervise them knock out a few rounds with me but they're lazy....good news is I can't find their powder anywhere.....Im going to ride that excuse to the promise land..
Ope, sounds like a tricky spot to be in.

Welcome to HT.

If I'm loading for my rifle and end up lending it to a friend, I trust my loads because I'm very meticulous with them. I'd rather them shoot the best load possible and get their goat than potentially miss an animal because of a bad factory round. Just my $.02

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back