Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What's up with the constant rancher bashing?

Troy, Maybe you'd have a different perspective if you knew what the situation is in Idaho and some of the other Rky Mtn. States, where welfare ranchers have always thumbed their noses at anyone advocating even the slightest change. For many years individuals and groups tried to reason and work with welfare ranchers but got nowhere because the ranchers had all the power. We've had endless topics on this here in SI, but I'll supply a few links for you to look at. Please don't tell us the organizations linked to are full of BS unless you can supply us with some backup articles or links.

I'd gladly read anything that refutes the facts presented by the BLM, FS, and many organizations.

First, "it's a term used for a very few." 30,000 seems like more than a few. That's how many subsidized ranchers are on BLM, FS and state and local gov't lands.

Here's a basic overview of the problem:

"Three hundred million acres. That is what is at stake. In round figures, some 300 million acres of public lands-federal, state, and county-are currently leased for livestock production."

http://www.publiclandsranching.org/htmlres/wr_intro.htm

Although cattle grazing in the West has polluted more water, eroded more topsoil, killed more fish, displaced more wildlife, and destroyed more vegetation than any other land use, the American public pays ranchers to do it.

--Ted Williams, "He's Going to Have an Accident"

http://www.apnm.org/waste_of_west/Chapter7.html

And here's some info about how the deck is stacked against anyone who hopes to change the welfare ranching situation. If mere talk would do it lawsuits wouldn't be necessary.

"In practice, the Land Board has frequently used state lands to help prop up a long-suffering livestock industry, rejecting WWP's offers to pay significantly more money for state leases."

http://www.westernwatersheds.org/watmess/watmess_2002/2002_fall.html

At the bottom of that article you can click on "Home" and read lots more about Jon Marvel's uphill battle to restore public land quality, in which he and others have been fought the whole way by welfare ranchers, BLM, FS, state and local gov'ts. It took many lawsuits and appeals to make any progress.

I'm glad you've had some success with your approach in SD. Before you start comparing me and Buzz to spoiled children you need lots of education. You got off to a real bad start showing us how to work together. Want me to compare you to some categories?

Here's what you told us in your first post:

"If you want to lease your local BLM property no one is stopping you."

That's been 100% refuted in the following posts.

If I were inclined, I could easily think of some very unflattering names and comparisons to apply to you, as you've done to some of us who have worked real hard here in SI to educate people about the welfare ranching issue. You're not helping by posting simplistic misinformation without any back up.

I sure hope you'll continue to discuss this issue and supply us with anything you can to substantiate your claims. I'd hate to see you stop just because you ran into a few other posters who can easily debate you---and provide plenty of substantiation.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-15-2003 11:54: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Troy said, "The term "welfare rancher" was used too loosely, it's a term used for a very few."

Nope, I disagree, any rancher that is grazing on BLM lands and is paying $1.35/AUM or paying less than fair market value for leasing is receiving a subsidy, ie: welfare.

There arent two ways to look at that, there just isnt. Thanks to the welfare rancher people like elkgunner have an even harder time making ends meet. The welfare rancher, while he may seem an American icon, is cutting the throat of his own industry. You whine and cry about government regulations, enviro-greenies, etc. forcing ranchers to comply with environmental stewardship, while at the same time think nothing of how cheap subsidized leases contribute to the demise of the ranching lifestyle. Put the blame where it belongs.

Oh, and Troy, dont be so self-righteous in believing you're the only one who's ever moderated for better stewardship...theres at least a few others here, including me, who have probably done a better job of it than you.

Oh, and you're approach, if I'm reading it correctly....go slow and dont offend anyone...is exactly why public lands are still a mess, and will be a mess for many years. While you're style may work in 100 years, I personally see no reason to continue the degradition of public lands so a few ranchers wont have their feelings hurt.

My approach has always been to accept the truth, and the truth is 60% of BLM lands are in shit condition because of piss poor grazing practices, period. If a rancher doesnt want to believe that, too damn bad. What the government agencies CAN do, and should do, is tell them "comply or lose your lease".

If we want BLM lands to be improved, complacency, kid gloves, and business as usual will not get the job done, its going to take aggressive action...and feelings are bound to get hurt. But thats a price I'm willing to pay for better stewardship.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-15-2003 11:46: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

So, let me get this straight.

Then that makes you welfare hunters.
So, hunters are on welfare.

That's it LOST. Welfare hunters,and cheap to because they aint even paying $1.35 nothing.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
hump.gif

We didn't say anything argumentative at all. You stated facts about the ranchers, I stated a fact about hunters, using the same info. How is that an arguement unless YOU make it into one.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back