Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What's up with Texans in the GYE?

Given the behavior scolding we just received, I wanted to revisit this thread with a serious comment vs. my usual smartassness.

I’ve been fortunate to have a mentor in my life who had a natural ability to connect with people. He told me that all people have far more in common than we do differences. He said anytime you meet someone, ask them where they are from, and from that find a way to connect with them around the topic of that place. What you know about it. If you’ve been there, what did you like. Places you saw, or restaurants, or people you met. It’s all about finding a way to connect with that person based on shared experiences.

Unfortunately, in today’s environment we’ve been conditioned to focus not on what we have in common, but on what divides us. We could all take a lesson from this 84 year old man’s sage advice to me many years ago. I called him today to let him know how much I appreciate him and his wise council to me over the years.

Given the behavior scolding we just received, I wanted to revisit this thread with a serious comment vs. my usual smartassness.

I’ve been fortunate to have a mentor in my life who had a natural ability to connect with people. He told me that all people have far more in common than we do differences. He said anytime you meet someone, ask them where they are from, and from that find a way to connect with them around the topic of that place. What you know about it. If you’ve been there, what did you like. Places you saw, or restaurants, or people you met. It’s all about finding a way to connect with that person based on shared experiences.

Unfortunately, in today’s environment we’ve been conditioned to focus not on what we have in common, but on what divides us. We could all take a lesson from this 84 year old man’s sage advice to me many years ago. I called him today to let him know how much I appreciate him and his wise council to me over the years.
And thank you for sharing this gentleman's wise council sir

Last edited:
My concern with Texans (and Californians) is their desire to fix us rather than acknowledge we aren't broke. The group that moved close to us told a neighbor that their goal was to buy all of us out so they could create a game preserve. I decided then that our price would be $15M and if the offer was made at that price I would increase it to $20M.

The next complaint was that I had a shooting range next to the road into their place. The road isn't on their land. The range has been there for 35 years. Hopefully a couple good Montana winters will educate this group of Texas experts.

Those worthless Texans are invading the Midwest too I hear. Somebody needs to do something about this!

if we're all worried about our conservative ways of life we should be welcoming the texans with open arms.

but..... the freaking traffic tho

This is good. We have so much in common but it takes very little to divide us. I must have missed the scolding. Which thread was that on?

On my WY antelope hunt I spotted a herd through my binos looking back at me across featureless terrain, apparently just does and fawns.

Deciding to try a different spot I was about to drive off when a shiny new jeep with TX plates and 2 hunters drives past me and pulls over. It was sporting a giant “Vortex” sticker like this:
619FBC06-1C16-4C7C-83ED-0D2D9F0B6162.jpeg

I went up and told them I wasn’t going after the antelope, and added that I didn’t think there was a buck in that group, but I only had 10x’s. Turns out between the two of them they just had one pair of 6x birding binos and no spotter…

I was out of town and missed this one.

We were in Yellowstone on vacation here in July, so I apologize for temporarily adding to the Texan invasion. I was born and raised in Texas but I’ll tell you what..If we could afford to move out west we would. The Western states are beautiful and offer so much as far as public land and outdoor recreation opportunities that my family loves. It makes more sense to be closer to what we love to do rather than have to make a trip out of it every year. For now though we’ll just have to endure the sweltering heat and 100% humidity. Just remember, “the starts at night, are big and bright, (clap four times), deep in the heart of Texas…!”

Sitting around the Pie Shop the remarks are ,"They will leave when it gets cold",or "Wait for the 1st thaw or a good frog strangler!". I think the 100 mi trip to the nearest wallyworld a few times and they will move back to Eastern Nuevo Mexico.Tejas.

We were in Yellowstone on vacation here in July, so I apologize for temporarily adding to the Texan invasion. I was born and raised in Texas but I’ll tell you what..If we could afford to move out west we would. The Western states are beautiful and offer so much as far as public land and outdoor recreation opportunities that my family loves. It makes more sense to be closer to what we love to do rather than have to make a trip out of it every year. For now though we’ll just have to endure the sweltering heat and 100% humidity. Just remember, “the starts at night, are big and bright, (clap four times), deep in the heart of Texas…!”
You’d cherish public land in Texas too if Texas valued conservation easements.. Montana is quickly turning into a “MY” state instead of “our” state. Understandably, and ironically… stay there and vote on behalf of the public land lovers of Texas… Everybody is from somewhere, in my opinion it’s imperative to use your education and whatever skills you possess to better YOUR environment, not someone else’s.. if all the educated ones move out to the west you’ll have a state full of GW Bush’s…. Wouldn’t want that would you!??

Sitting around the Pie Shop the remarks are ,"They will leave when it gets cold",or "Wait for the 1st thaw or a good frog strangler!". I think the 100 mi trip to the nearest wallyworld a few times and they will move back to Eastern Nuevo Mexico.Tejas.

Hank, you gonna make me wait in the car while you run in and snag us some pie?

“Hank, who’s that nefarious looking guy waiting out side? “

“Nevermind him, he and his pretty wife are Texans looking for a WalMart, let’s give em some pie….and let’s keep this on the qt. “

Hank, you gonna make me wait in the car while you run in and snag us some pie?

“Hank, who’s that nefarious looking guy waiting out side? “

“Nevermind him, he and his pretty wife are Texans looking for a WalMart, let’s give em some pie….and let’s keep this on the qt. “
Just give me a ring & I can have some reserved. Hell you can call from Datil & meet me like BF did.
My momma dint raise no dummie.
I was just thinking of going for some breakie and checking the Tejas gals! Always a treat!

Back