Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What's to do around Terry MT ? Sight seeing.

D4570

I thinking about a mini trip out east MT. I'm in GF so I'm central MT.
Last year I went to Opheim and Scobby, Glasgow. I'm thinking about Terry area and look at the badlands.
Is there enough stuff to keep my wife and 12-year-old Granddaughter busy sightseeing?
I like that stuff but it's a 700-mile round trip, a lot of butt time in the truck.
I think a day over a day to look around and a day back. There is a Hotel in Terry and I hope there is food.
Anyone from or been in the area?
Talk me into it.

Stay at the historic Kempton Hotel in Terry, visit the museum featuring pioneer woman and early Montana photographer Evelyn Cameron. Then head west of town to cross the rickety old railroad trestle bridge to explore the Calypso Trail, that is if your truck is four wheel drive. Don't venture there if it's wet.

The scenery is great and when reaching the end of the road, you can hike to the natural rock bridges to experience firsthand some of the natural features and wildlife photographed by Evelyn Cameron.

Thanks, Yes I think the extra miles into Glendive would be worth it too.
Funny I have lived in MT for close to 70 years and there is still a lifetime's worth of things to see...

Terry is the home of the Evelyn Cameron museum (one of the first female photographers in Montana; very poplar).
the cut across road from Brockway to Terry is now paved (wasn’t in my youth) and allows for a loop if you came over on 200 (nice views) a cruise up to Glendive, hit Makoshika. I’d recommend Medora (a ways further into North Dakota. If you like to fish, Fort Peck is equal parts dream and nightmare. I personally grew up about 10 miles straight north of Brockway although my “home town” is Circle.
Then a cruise back west on the high line highway will give a different view than 200 on the way east.

I haven’t been to the Evelyn Cameron gallery since I was a kid but I remember it being worth seeing even at that age. The Calypso Trail north of Terry is some awesome country. If you can go a little farther to Glendive then it’s worth hitting up Makoshika. The dinosaur museum off the interstate could be a major disappointment unless you believe that there were dinosaurs on Noah’s ark.

Cool thoughts We'll try to hit as many as we can.
Hard to do it all, 8 hours there and back. We plan 3 days but it looks like we will be driving in the dark if we hit 1/2 the sights...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back