What's the longest distance you would hike for an elk?

Two miles in the mountains is a long way to pack an elk out on your back, especially if you hunt solo like most of my hunts have been. I know I hunted a lot farther in when I had horses at home and I knew that I could get them to pack out anything that I shot.

My last 4 elk plus one other bull were all shot about 300 yards above my house. I was able to drag the gutted cow out in one piece, the bulls I had to cut in half.

I remember one antelope hunt that I put the gutted buck on my pack frame and carried him out 4 miles. When I got back to my car there was another buck about the size as the one that I had shot, standing not 200 yards from my car.

I haven't had horses for about 20 years, but I do have several varieties of wheeled carriers that I have used to carry out deer and antelope. Even with one of them, carrying out a bull elk, by myself, would take 4 trips.

What I love about this question is that it really highlights the guys who have and have not packed an elk (or a portion of an elk) on their back. Down hill and flat 1.7 miles with a truly large bodied elk was enough that I was totally knackered on one trip. I will admit I was not in the shape I was years previous and I felt it.

There is also the difference between the guy who shows up fresh to pack an elk out and the guy who has been logging 6-10 miles a day at high elevation for 3 or more days. Post kill adrenaline only gets you so far...

Word to the Rookie elk hunters. If you plan to kill an elk more than 3 miles from the road, have a packout plan with either 2+ other buddies or someone with 2 horses. FWIW, Cam Hanes had a packer on call in the Eagle Cap when he was "banzai hunting" there. Secondly antlers. skull and cape are a horribly hard load to balance in a pack and weigh a lot...

I've led my saddle horse with sawn quarters 6 miles back to camp. And I think the longest pack back with pack horses was 10 miles. To me roadless elk hunting means horses, period.

Based on this thread and its responses, my hunt will go one of two ways:

1. I'm going to be completely alone back there and balls deep in Elk

OR

2. My e-scouting plan is complete crap and I'm going to suffer needlessly

knowing my luck, its #2 🤣
you an me both, but I,m ready,,,

The bull I shot this year was 3.7 miles from the truck. Solo pack out took two days and covered 37 miles total.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back