Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What’s the formula for Wyoming mud?

undercover

Leaving this Saturday for my first western hunt for Wyoming. An Antelope hunt near Buffalo and will be a day and a half of travel. Wanted to spend Sunday afternoon to “sort it out” but looks like 70% chance of rain. Also rain/snow in forecast for Wednesday. So my question: how much moisture does it take to make the dirt roads turn to mud/snot/grease? A half inch of rain? An inch? 2” of snow with a quick thaw? Small passing cloud burst to what normally would knock the dust down? This is really about my only concern! I’m not one to add depths to ruts and I haven’t maxed out the capabilities of my 4Runner and don’t really want to. Thanks for your replies

Blessings

Brian

Given how dry it is here, I wouldn't worry to much. Forecast is chance of showers, so probably in under a day all will be dry and solid again

We've got a heavy snow watch, possible heavv snow, for the Snowies so I would check that forecast.
Perhaps it is not supposed to hit up there.
You'll know if it's too muddy as soon as you hit the 2 tracks roads.

Bob probably knows more than me for his forecast though.

Saturday night showers, less than 1/2 inch
Sunday could be more interesting. Colder, possible snow. But not much

We were hunting around Douglas area a couple weeks ago and they got 1/4" of rain both days out there. The dirt roads were greasy but not bad, and they dried out fairly quick. The worst part was the fog the mornings after it rained, it wouldn't burn off until 9 or 10.

You said driving Saturday and Sunday, so hunt Monday? Might be a slick morning but should dry fast and youllbe good is my guess

A couple weeks ago in SE Wy we got a sudden hail storm. Lasted 5 minutes. The dirt roads we were on (not gravel county roads) turned to the slimiest substance I have ever seen 4wd didn’t matter just went sideways and could barely go forward. Waited 20 minutes for the sun to burn it off and things were back to normal. It was the craziest thing I have seen in terms of roads turning to slop and then quickly burning off/soaking in. Chains would have gotten us out if it were sustained rain/hail.

A couple weeks ago in SE Wy we got a sudden hail storm. Lasted 5 minutes. The dirt roads we were on (not gravel county roads) turned to the slimiest substance I have ever seen 4wd didn’t matter just went sideways and could barely go forward. Waited 20 minutes for the sun to burn it off and things were back to normal. It was the craziest thing I have seen in terms of roads turning to slop and then quickly burning off/soaking in. Chains would have gotten us out if it were sustained rain/hail.
I got nailed by a hailstorm in SE Wyoming this year well away from the truck in the middle of helping my buddy field dress his pronghorn. That was after getting nailed by a hard rainstorm the day before while field dressing mine.

Not fun.

Leaving this Saturday for my first western hunt for Wyoming. An Antelope hunt near Buffalo and will be a day and a half of travel. Wanted to spend Sunday afternoon to “sort it out” but looks like 70% chance of rain. Also rain/snow in forecast for Wednesday. So my question: how much moisture does it take to make the dirt roads turn to mud/snot/grease? A half inch of rain? An inch? 2” of snow with a quick thaw? Small passing cloud burst to what normally would knock the dust down? This is really about my only concern! I’m not one to add depths to ruts and I haven’t maxed out the capabilities of my 4Runner and don’t really want to. Thanks for your replies

Blessings

Brian
It’s really hard to say man. I’ve got a road going into my property, the upper part is fine when wet and the lower part is slick as snot with a little moisture. It’s only like 5 miles long so conditions change quickly.

Thanks all for the replies. Rolled into town today around 1. Some good hard rain between Gillette and Buffalo and the mud was all I could think about. Headed out to spot #1. Actually didn’t seem to be a huge mess, spot #2 a little more mushy but I expect with the gusts to 50 will have that dried out by morning. Spot #3 two track was perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back