Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What's THE best unit for elk in AZ??

1_pointer

This is my first year applying and I don't have any expectations on drawing, but I figure I might as well put in for the best of the best. So which unit is it?? Thanks in advance.

in order: I am assuming you are looking for a unit with good bulls.

1st- unit 9
2nd- unit 10
3rd - unit 27
4th - unit 1

JMHO

6A has the best Elk herds overall....but it all depends what type of hunt and what your looking for... keep in mind the better the unit the harder to draw a tag.

Units 8 and 9 have the biggest bulls. Units 6A and 5BN probably have the most elk. Unit 1 and 27 are the best for archery hunting. If you are from out of state and looking for a rifle hunt, chances of getting drawn on your first application are probably best if you apply for Units 3, 4, or 7. Don't know why, it just seems to happen that way.

:cool:

There are no real big secrets in Arizona. Get a copy of the regulations. Near the back are charts with drawing odds and success rates. The best hunts have the longest odds, period. Keep in mind, with current regulations, you have no chance of drawing the better units. Also keep in mind, some of the "lesser" units are still GREAT, by most standards.

Acon, are you telling me 1 in 4000 draw odds isn't a 'reasonable chance'?
Damn, my only hope just left the building...

I think if I was just getting in on AZ, I would go for the lesser sought after units. All those AZ boys say all the units have great bulls. As soon as I draw I will never put in for the top units again, I would rather have another chance in a lessor unit than no chance at all to even hunt it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back