Whats the best deer cartridge?

My personal favorites are the 30-06 and 7mm-08. Haven’t killed a deer yet with the 08 but been shooting it all summer and excited to try and bag my first muley buck this year in Wyoming. Also both in my favorite budget rifle which is the Ruger American line.

270 WSM. It gives more range and energy than a 270. It smacks em really hard. None of my ever took a step.

There is no best. There are so many different situations where one might be better than the other. For deer I look more at the rifle and optic characteristics for where I am hunting than the caliber. That said Im all for relatively flat shooting lower recoil calibers that have ammo readily available. So I settled into 7mm08 and a 270 Win As my primary deer rifles.

I agree that this subject has been beaten up for a hundred years. I obviously will throw in my dime into the mix. The best caliber for any animal is the one that the hunter is comfortable with and has practiced with. I taught hunter education for 20 years and this is how I always answered this question.

This year Ill be using an older Lee Enfield which shoots .303 British rounds! Almost exactly the same as a 30/06 but much harder to find and does the job just as well!

My 2 favorite are the 6.5 creedmore or the 7mm-08. I'd pick the 7mm-08 in most cases tho

I have no idea how many different cartridges I have used on deer. One think in common, they all worked.

ok my buddy and I didn't see eye to eye on the best cartridge for deer, rather its whitetail, blacktail or mule deer. What do you guys think? What's the Best Deer Cartridge? Myself likes the 8mm mauser.
6.5x284 Norma

Anything you shoot well from .243 on up. I was a "one rifle" guy for years (had many, but always hunted with one) a custom .300 Winchester Magnum Model 70 as elk and deer season overlap. Now too old to drag elk and use 25.06.

I used to use a 7mm Rem Mag for deer and a 300 Rem Mag for elk. Now I own one for everything from antelope to moose. 7mm Ren Mag w/160 Nosler Accubonds.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back