PEAX Equipment

What's on the smoker today?

Those ribs look like they leave a lot to be desired. How were they?
Never had what I'd call "good" venison rib. Closes I've ever came is crockpot first then smoker, and finally serve the pork spareribs I made on the side because I knew the others would suck.

Never had what I'd call "good" venison rib. Closes I've ever came is crockpot first then smoker, and finally serve the pork spareribs I made on the side because I knew the others would suck.
I trim the fat, then pressure cook for a very short period to vaporize any remaining fat. Season, then an hour or so at 250 in smoker then hit it with sauce and wrap with butcher then back on the smoker for an hour or so. Unwrap, then 30 minutes on the smoker.

Final product is like a warm beef jerky. It's a great appetizer. We love it.

Ribs on a deer never get thrown away in this house.

20230909_171538.jpg

I don't know if this counts as a smoker, just a Weber Kettle with a ring of charcoal and some apple chips. I've got a bunch of shank pieces on, trying to get a nice crust before they go in the crock pot tonight for shank chili. Also, a roast, with the intent to try @Dave N sandwich meat technique.

Post the recipe if you don't mind.
My brine is 2 quarts water, 2/3 cup kosher salt, 2 cups of brown sugar. I brine the fillets for 8-10 hours, 6-8 hours for the small tail pieces. Big fillets could soak in the brine longer but I usually don’t keep lakers over 8 or 9 pounds. 15 pound lake trout are a blast to catch but I’d rather eat smaller fish. 4-8 pounders are perfect smokers. I smoke the fillets for 2 hours at 150 and 2 hours at 175. Baste with maple syrup 2 or 3 times. The small tail pieces are usually done after 3 hours.

Back