What's on the smoker today?

The kids and I have been catching a bunch of trout lately. Decided to smoke some. Turned out pretty good. I'll keep working on different brines.

Attachments

• 20190326_211348.jpg
    20190326_211348.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
Smoked up some more trout yesterday and then canned it. First time canning fish. Pretty sure most of my trout will be done this way from now on.

Attachments

• 20190406_171922.jpg
    20190406_171922.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14
Dry rub on pork ribs today over hickory.

Outside of jerky and fish I have done little smoking of large cuts of meat. The last few weeks I have found that smoking meat lends itself to drinking a fair amount of beer fairly early in the day. Everyone liked the ribs, but to the beer drinking, bad or good depends on who and when ya ask.

470A2BBA-71E7-49FC-B2B2-0F20BEEF8781.jpeg

6EEE0412-85B6-48E0-BB00-241184F8BDA9.jpeg

How about a step by step for this? Thanks, mtmuley
Here's my step by step for the shank tacos:
Once shanks are defrosted, verify that they are of proper length to fit in cast iron oven to avoid problems later. I generally trim my shanks before freezing and like to expose some marrow.
Rub olive oil over entire shank, then generously apply salt and pepper, I prefer to use lawry's season salt instead of plain salt.
Place shanks on smoker racks and smoke for two hours at 190 degrees.
remove shanks from smoker and place on baking sheet for safe transport inside.
using a ceramic coated or standard cast iron oven, heat up olive oil in base and brown each shank on medium high heat for a minute or two and then place shank back on baking sheet.
After browning shanks, ensure there is enough oil to start sweating some coarsely chopped onions and minced garlic. cook until aromatic and garlic starts to brown.
Place shanks back into oven and dump in can of favourite beer, two cans of enchilada sauce and if needed some water so liquid is just covering shanks. cover oven with lid.
Insert cast iron oven into preheated oven at 375 and start other chores or reward yourself with an ice cold beverage of your choice.
I check on my shanks about once an hour or so and rotate their position in the cast iron oven since your liquid will start to evaporate and thicken.
After about 4-5 hours you should have a very thick sauce in the bottom of your cast iron and meat should be falling off the bone, most tenditions and major muscle fibers will have cooked down and be gone. Remove all bones and shred meat with forks in oven so it mixes in the sauce. Any tendons or fatty tissues noticed should be removed as they are not enjoyable to bite into.
give the bones to your dogs and impress people you know with your new cooking skills.
I make home made cilantro lime ranch aioli to put on the tacos using dry ranch seasoning, sour cream, milk, fresh cilantro, and lime juice.
If any one makes this dish let me know how it turned out for you. I fed 10 adults with the four shanks I used last time and the left overs are just as good as the day you made the dish.

Here's my step by step for the shank tacos:
Once shanks are defrosted, verify that they are of proper length to fit in cast iron oven to avoid problems later. I generally trim my shanks before freezing and like to expose some marrow.
Rub olive oil over entire shank, then generously apply salt and pepper, I prefer to use lawry's season salt instead of plain salt.
Place shanks on smoker racks and smoke for two hours at 190 degrees.
remove shanks from smoker and place on baking sheet for safe transport inside.
using a ceramic coated or standard cast iron oven, heat up olive oil in base and brown each shank on medium high heat for a minute or two and then place shank back on baking sheet.
After browning shanks, ensure there is enough oil to start sweating some coarsely chopped onions and minced garlic. cook until aromatic and garlic starts to brown.
Place shanks back into oven and dump in can of favourite beer, two cans of enchilada sauce and if needed some water so liquid is just covering shanks. cover oven with lid.
Insert cast iron oven into preheated oven at 375 and start other chores or reward yourself with an ice cold beverage of your choice.
I check on my shanks about once an hour or so and rotate their position in the cast iron oven since your liquid will start to evaporate and thicken.
After about 4-5 hours you should have a very thick sauce in the bottom of your cast iron and meat should be falling off the bone, most tenditions and major muscle fibers will have cooked down and be gone. Remove all bones and shred meat with forks in oven so it mixes in the sauce. Any tendons or fatty tissues noticed should be removed as they are not enjoyable to bite into.
give the bones to your dogs and impress people you know with your new cooking skills.
I make home made cilantro lime ranch aioli to put on the tacos using dry ranch seasoning, sour cream, milk, fresh cilantro, and lime juice.
If any one makes this dish let me know how it turned out for you. I fed 10 adults with the four shanks I used last time and the left overs are just as good as the day you made the dish.

Good grief. This makes me really upset my shanks from last year are already gone. Can’t wait to try this. Thank you.

Smoking some peppercorns today. Cracked half and left half of them whole.
Mesquite wood , it seems to go well with peppercorns. 8 hours or so should do it .

Monday made Prime Rib on the BBQ,Added a smoker
box full of Cherry wood to the flames.
First time for me,turned out excellent.:cool:

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back