MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What's on the smoker today?

Ribs on the smoker today. I've always kept the process fairly simple for ribs. Today I was curious if a more complicated method would make a difference. I added two different rubs, let them sweat for 15 mins after each rub addition, smoked for 2 hours, then wrapped in foil with brown sugar, honey, butter, and bbq sauce with meat side down, cooked another 1.5 hrs to an internal temp of 200 F, rested in a cooler for 30 mins, glazed with bbq sauce, back on grill for 15 mins to set the sauce, then dusted with more rub. Did it make a difference? Meh, maybe. But what else was I going to do today?

20210626_180008.jpg

When we moved I had to abandon my smoker. It, and the wonderful grill I bought a few years ago, went to a friend. It hurt to lose them both, as they'd become good friends.

So I'm looking at propane smokers now. The Camp Chef & Masterbuilt are the leading contenders, but I thought I'd ask you reprobates for other suggestions under $300.
I got a dyna-glo upright charcoal smoker for $50 and a Kenmore 6 burner natural gas grill with a rotisserie for a $100 off Craigslist. For $300 you could be getting top of the line stuff.

Trying to smoke some sea salt but the monsoons are making it hard to get 20 hrs on the salt. Going to take me 4 days it looks like with the afternoon rains, but yeah rain!

Lots of folks do great things in a Masterbuilt electric smoker Ben.

Did some chicken leg quarters yesterday. Forgot any pics. Tried them with Apricot wood and was pretty hungry! Didn't turn out half bad, but I probably will stick to Apple or Hickory in the future. Planning to go big and do a brisket Sunday.

A few ribeyes hot on the pellet smoker today. Quick sear on cast iron at the end to finish up. Not a true smoke by any means but nice flavor nonetheless.

i personally have yet to find a better way to consume ribeye at this point in my life. Lowest temperature smoke for as long as possible and cast ion butter sear to rare or medium rare

must be properly seasoned of course 👌🏻

Tried Pig Shots for the first time today. Pretty tasty. Next time I’d add more jalapeños and baste them ALL with hot bbq

Attachments

• D7DCEB4B-D269-4E50-B45B-8C6486363705.jpeg
    D7DCEB4B-D269-4E50-B45B-8C6486363705.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
  • E2F5415F-8BA0-4914-9A16-3920494E3F64.jpeg
    E2F5415F-8BA0-4914-9A16-3920494E3F64.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • BAC57E54-03CB-49C6-8740-0D34DCFB9DC1.jpeg
    BAC57E54-03CB-49C6-8740-0D34DCFB9DC1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
partially because @ajricketts was talking about it the other day, but mostly because the wife asked for steak last night

his and hers, tomahawk and sirloin - smoked, seared, and cut

i had a bit of a grease fire when i kicked up the temp and opened the sear gate because of fathers day pulled pork goop, that threw off my temps and i basically overcooked it during the sear, still delicious 👌

i always like to eat my steaks on a big heaping bed of white rice that i boiled with chile pequin flakes, then stir fried in butter, garlic, onion, serrano, lots of cilantro, and a good dose of salt

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG-0199.jpg
IMG-0203.jpg
IMG-0205.jpg

Last edited:
partially because @ajricketts was talking about it the other day, but mostly because the wife asked for steak last night

his and hers, tomahawk and sirloin - smoked, seared, and cut

i had a bit of a grease fire when i kicked up the temp and opened the sear gate because of fathers day pulled pork goop, that threw off my temps and i basically overcooked it during the sear, still delicious 👌

i always like to eat my steaks on a big heaping bed of white rice that i boiled with chile pequin flakes, then stir fried in butter, garlic, onion, serrano, lots of cilantro, and a good dose of salt

View attachment 187287

View attachment 187288
View attachment 187289
View attachment 187290
Man I haven't done a big tomahawk steak in ages. Looks fantastic

Man I haven't done a big tomahawk steak in ages. Looks fantastic

it was supposed to also be my lunch today, thereby making the cost somewhat justifiable. then i sorta ate it all last night.

i guess i saved the bone to gnaw on for breakfast. oh well. no regrets.

Back