What's on the smoker today?

A buddy of mine recovered a roadkill fawn near Gunnison, which I thought would make a great subject of an experiment in smoking a quarter whole. Brined it for 24 hrs, seasoned with one of the new Meateater seasoning mixes (it was a gift), lathered it in lard on the bottom and covered it in bacon, and threw it on the smoker with mesquite and pecan chunks.

About 4 hours in, I took the bacon off, and applied a mustard based low-country BBQ sauce to the whole thing, then put it back in the smoker for 3 hours. I finished it for 2 hours at 275 in the oven wrapped in foil with poblano peppers, onions, garlic, scallions, and Palisade Brewing Imperial Porter. I sliced it thin, and we had it on my wife's homemade sourdough, melted provolone, and homemade bread and butter pickles.

It really came out excellent, and I was really impressed by the tenderness. The only downside of finishing in the oven is the moisturizing/losing of the smoked crust. Not sure I would really change anything I did, except maybe experimenting with different spices/seasonings. Was a pleasure to try fawn for the first time, and that it didn't go to waste on the side of the highway.

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_221743.jpg
    IMG_20201107_221743.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20201108_165640.jpg
    IMG_20201108_165640.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20201108_174116.jpg
    IMG_20201108_174116.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20201108_093656.jpg
    IMG_20201108_093656.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
A buddy of mine recovered a roadkill fawn near Gunnison, which I thought would make a great subject of an experiment in smoking a quarter whole. Brined it for 24 hrs, seasoned with one of the new Meateater seasoning mixes (it was a gift), lathered it in lard on the bottom and covered it in bacon, and threw it on the smoker with mesquite and pecan chunks.

About 4 hours in, I took the bacon off, and applied a mustard based low-country BBQ sauce to the whole thing, then put it back in the smoker for 3 hours. I finished it for 2 hours at 275 in the oven wrapped in foil with poblano peppers, onions, garlic, scallions, and Palisade Brewing Imperial Porter. I sliced it thin, and we had it on my wife's homemade sourdough, melted provolone, and homemade bread and butter pickles.

It really came out excellent, and I was really impressed by the tenderness. The only downside of finishing in the oven is the moisturizing/losing of the smoked crust. Not sure I would really change anything I did, except maybe experimenting with different spices/seasonings. Was a pleasure to try fawn for the first time, and that it didn't go to waste on the side of the highway.

You had me at homemade sourdough, but when I saw the marinade bucket I got a little choked up.

Reactions: trb
Debating P'Bossing a market purchased duck or doin' it Honey Balsamic Roasted in the oven...the oven route looks tasty but sure sounds fussy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back