Yeti GOBOX Collection

What's on the smoker today?

On this week's episode of Gettin' Learnt with Ricky - converting your regular smoker into a cold smoker. I'm trying my hand at fermented/dry cured meats. I wanted to add some smoke before the drying process so I embraced my inner trailer park roots and gave it a full send. Several good wind gusts and it's still standing.

Attachments

• PXL_20230724_230109999.jpg
    PXL_20230724_230109999.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230724_170547_01.jpg
    IMG_20230724_170547_01.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20230724_230956926.jpg
    PXL_20230724_230956926.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
On this week's episode of Gettin' Learnt with Ricky - converting your regular smoker into a cold smoker. I'm trying my hand at fermented/dry cured meats. I wanted to add some smoke before the drying process so I embraced my inner trailer park roots and gave it a full send. Several good wind gusts and it's still standing.
I like it! But... if you want to upgrade from trailer park to the suburbs, Masterbuilt makes an external smoke box that works really well. I've got one and have cold smoked some cheese, eggs, and a couple other things. Works well.

I like it! But... if you want to upgrade from trailer park to the suburbs, Masterbuilt makes an external smoke box that works really well. I've got one and have cold smoked some cheese, eggs, and a couple other things. Works well.
Thanks! I've seen those, I'll give it a shot before I cobble something together next time.

Sure does.
I also would add that I like to add that after melting and burning a few blankets over the years, I now start with a fiberglass blanket (cheap on Amazon) then the moving blanket.

That being said, I actually prefer cool weather smokes with my pellet grill because it means more pellets burned and better smoke. I’ve found that pellet smokers/grills struggle in hot weather and/or direct sunshine to maintain lower temps. Mine either burns out or does these wild swings when it’s super hot.

Last edited:
Anyone else render the beef fat after trimming a brisket? I am a sucker for smoked beef cracklins, enjoy them almost as much as I do the brisket
No, but we have a lot frozen, and, from my childhood, love cracklin' bread. Recipes?

No, but we have a lot frozen, and, from my childhood, love cracklin' bread. Recipes?
I just cut the fat up into cubes, smoke it for 4 hrs then put it into the oven at 250 until all of the water is out. You can tell its water free when it stops bubbling. I keep the rendered tallow for cooking and season the cracking with whatever rub and eat them with a cold beer. Beef tallow is very handy and yummy as well.

Back