Caribou Gear Tarp

What's on the smoker today?

Could you post the prickly pear sauce? That sounds really cool and different. Not a big sauce guy but that sounds great.
Loosely based on this recipe https://honest-food.net/prickly-pear-bbq-sauce-recipe-doves/ but I riffed off of it pretty hard.

1. Definitely use agave syrup and I went fairly heavy on it.
2. Dropped the tequila and added about 1 cup ketchup.
3. Used my own chile powder blend instead of the chiltepins called for.
4. I didn’t run the prickly pears through a food mill as Hank suggests. Instead, I steeped about four pounds of them in water I’d brought to just-under-boiling/then killed the hear on for about 30 minutes, sliced one end off of each fruit and squeezed the pulp into a bowl, mashed the pulp through a fine colander and then finally strained the pulp through doubled paper towels. Probably would’ve been just as good to use commercially-produced prickly pear syrup but I happened upon a stall with fresh prickly pear at our farmers market.

Final product was sweet but not overwhelming with a little bit of heat hitting the back of your throat and a touch of tang from the lime. Turned out a really cool ruby color:
BC4BD527-4A8A-4673-BD84-D9627AD5ACC2.jpeg64DE007B-E063-428F-82A9-6BC66E779297.jpeg

Last edited:
Man I've really been wanting to try this just because I don't always need 15+lbs of brisket for the family. Just treat the same as brisket?
Yes. The last chuck roast I did still took 12 hours, just like a brisket. I smoked it at 225 and wrapped it at 180 IT and pulled it at 205. Wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cooler for a couple hours.

How do you find the auodad as table fare? Seems like a lot of folks believe they aren’t fit to eat, but I’d have to try to do something with them. A curry or a merguez sausage would be likely candidates.
I shot a ram, ewe, and lamb this January. The lamb was very good I've smoked a whole shoulder and boneless hindquarter. The ewe was alright (that's what's above) compared side by side with deer you can tell your eating auodad. It’s just a bit tougher and a little different not sure I'd call it gamey but most probably would if you've had mutton you can imagine. The ram was tough no way around it didn't mine the flavor similar if not a bit stronger. But the ram was just so tough it was either crockpot, pressure cooker, or grind it. I ended up using almost the whole ram for jalapeno cheddar summer sausage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back