Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Whats everyone's hunting season workout look like?

Dougjones10

What's everyone's workout routine for preseason or in season? I know not everyone can be Cam Hanes, but I figured this would be a great thread for folks to exchange routines or exercises. Or if you don't workout what are you doing to get your body in shape for western hunting?

This is my second year doing the Elk Fit workout from MTN OPS. I did it twice last year, and at 38 years old, it might have been the best shape I've ever been in!

I put a 35 lb bag of sand in my pack. I get lots of looks and questions at the gym. :LOL:

Its flat as hell here with zippo vertical possible unless you run steps. I lift a couple days a week and ride a Peloton six days a week.

In all seriousness I have done a lot of the mountain tough workouts and they definitely have a way of taking you out of your comfort zone which one needs.

They have a bunch of free ones on YouTube to try. Good luck

For the first time in about 9 years I live somewhere with access to a ton of dirt trails so I've mostly been running. Some biking and weights mixed in, but after living in the poorly planned west with 20-90min drives to a trailhead, I'm soaking up long runs from the house.
I’m only running if being chased and I can’t shoot why is chasing me.

For me it’s hiking after a 20-90 min drive with added weight. And monkeying around!

Attachments

• B2E0FBC7-ED71-469D-8125-70274615541A.jpeg
    B2E0FBC7-ED71-469D-8125-70274615541A.jpeg
    606.7 KB · Views: 18
  • B99DB4AE-B1AC-4CF7-90A7-B983779703CE.jpeg
    B99DB4AE-B1AC-4CF7-90A7-B983779703CE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Still doing ppt 2x a week on the fake knee, other than that it’s a few laps around the island (kitchen island that is) daily and I’ve moved the beer to the top shelf where it’s harder to reach (lunges?)😑

Just got done doing a Flyathlon. Check it out if you have never heard of it. The main premise is trail running with your fishing gear and catching a trout, followed by beer drinking but all in the name of raising money for restoring native trout. https://www.runningrivers.org/2021-flyathlon-events.html
If your in Colorado there is still one in September but it always interferes with elk hunting which is why I didn't do it. Anyway, I typically run a lot in my neighborhood but after an 8 mile trail run over the weekend it was a good reminder how important it is to still get out on uneven/rocky ground and get your feet used to the mountains.

I like the comments, just wanted to get a pulse on some of the guys/gals on here about exercising. I know most folks on here probably have limited time to workout. But its interesting to hear guys walking/hiking 50-90 miles a week. I'm just trying to keep the gut in check.

I like a mix of things. I used to be huge in endurance, such as long distance triathlons right up to hunting season. I have found over the passed couple of years since i stopped, that getting the pack on more helps out a ton. I try and do pack rucks twice a week raising the poundage as it feels easier. currently do ~1 hr hikes on hilly terrain. The other days i get at least 2-3 days of aerobic running lower HR but 45-60 mins. Then mix in at least 2-3 days of some kind of more intense body weight, core and sprints AMRAP type work for those times when you need to sprint up a hill to cut something off. Seems to target the anarobic, aerobic and hiking fitness zones.

2 hours of at home PT every day. Start with 15 minutes of massage. Then a minimum of 30 minutes on my spin bike followed by an hour of specific exercises. Then ice… Facking knee! PT twice a week with my therapist on top of that. Tick tock goes the life ⏰.

Back