MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Whats a deer worth ?

Moosie

Grand poopa
Lets say you have a general season tag, and a 22" 4 point walked by.. Is it worth it ?

Now lets say you bought a landowner tag for 2 grand, and a 22" buck walks out... Is it worth it ? How about a 27" 4 point with a Kicker.... on it's Right side.. ;), then is it worth it ? Or would it have to be 30"+.

How about a colorado deer tag you've been putting in for 6 years. How big does it have to be to be worth pulling the trigger.

Just wondering if your Goals are the same whether it's a over the counter, a 7 year draw or a Landowner tag.

A general tag and a 22" walks out it would depend on the unit and how long of forks he had. A general tag north of the ditch in AZ probably not, but south I'd blow him away.

For the landowner tag for 2 grand I would let the 22" walk. A 27" with a kicker on his right side I would pass, only because I would rather have one on the left. The 30" would work also.

A quality Colordo tag w/6 points I would be picky, but also know what type of bucks the area holds. Something around the 25" plus range I would seriously look at for mass and tine length and consider shooting. If it doesn't get my heart pounding I would probably pass. 28-30" and nice forks I would take him. 30"+ the antlers would have to have some severe deformity for me not to shoot.

Depends on way too many things, where you are hunting, what kind of deer live there. Also spread doesn't say how big a deer really is. Also, depends on if you are trophy hunting or not.

I once passed on a 30" buck and shot a 20" buck that was standing next to it. The 20" buck was way better of a deer.

About 2 weeks later in a different state I passed on a 25-26"" buck that would score around 190. I'd seen a 35" buck 2 days earlier that ended up scoring 218, but I ended up eating my tag after another 8 days of hunting. Somebody else shot that bigger one. I was happy with my hunt and would have regretting shooting that other nice buck, had I done it and ended early.

I've taken a 22.5" fork horn and he was the dominite buck of the group of bucks which can through. There were 3 8's and a 10 but this big fork horn ran them all off. I took him because I had another tag for the season durring bow. Yes it is worth it.

Depends on what is the Max I can expect from those Areas, all can hold Trophies, but are they topping out at 22-24"? And it would Depend on if my wife knew how much I paid Farmer Brown to shoot a Deer on his property. Your Buddies will tell you what a "Great Deer" it is, but the wife will tell you real fast "You could have done that around here...FREE!" Just my thoughts, John:(

#1. yep

#2. depends on how close it was to the porch or hot tub (quote Shoots- alone) j/k....big

#3. big

I'd try to maximize the potential of the opportunity. Greeny said it well.

My goals change depending on several things...time, what I've seen scouting, where I'm hunting, etc. The tag itself doesnt mean or change anything.

I doubt many hunters kill the "maximum potential" deer from most areas they hunt.

Width really doesn't do much for me. Big deer can be narrow too. I shot a whitetail that was 25" wide one year,he was young spindly little buck... I'd have to be pretty hungry to shoot another like him.

General unit, If its a mature animal and he's 22", good mass, nice forks... he'd probably get whacked. A standard 3yo 22" 4pt... would get a free pass.

Land owner tag. Depends on the circumstance. it would have to be a mature buck pushing 180 typ or better. Put out that kind of $$$ it better be worth it, other wise I'll stick to hunting general units for free.

For say CO and it took me 6 years to draw a tag (will only be 4 next year)... Its a book deer or tag soup.

my money is spent on the hunt...not the animal.
what a bunch of ass-sniffers! :rolleyes:

;

Depends on when the buck walks out. If its the last day of the hunt.......any legal buck is dead. I like venison too much to just eat tag soup.

Curly, tag soup goes well with a T-bone steak smothered in mushrooms and onions. try it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back