PEAX Equipment

What would you do? Short on time Pronghorn and Mule Deer in MT

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28227

Due to a horrible work schedule this fall have very little time to hunt. Trying to decide between hunting pronghorn for 2 days the weekend after the opener and then mule deer for 2 days the weekend before thanksgiving or combining the two into one trip 4 days long November 3-6. I have never hunted pronghorn this late is it even worth it... what would you guys/gals do?

Both of these hunts would be in Eastern MT and I'm driving up from CO.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't sweat hunting in antelope November. My friends who have done it say larger bucks are easier to find then.

The difference is that I feel like I can get a pronghorn hunt done in 2 days based on my experience and mule deer not as much. I'd roll the trips together if it were me and try to hunt antelope midday or later in the trip with mule deer in the mornings and evenings.

Good advice above combine the two and deer hunt in morning and evening and at lunch chase antelope since they are easier to locate in the middle of the day.

Combine the two, too much can go wrong in the drive if you can only go for 2 days each.

If it was any other weekend, I'd recommend separate trips. But 2nd weekend, pronghorns can be tough to find on public land. Later in the year, more will have drifted back onto places you can find them.

Put the priority on the deer. If you have time to kill an antelope, do it. So combine the trips. Life can sure get in the way of a hunting career sometimes.

Find a new job...

Ok if that's not an option there are always things to hunt out east, especially if your willing to hike a few miles on state or blm.

Sadly far too young to retire and too broke to quit... guess that means I'm going to combine the two trips. I am a bit worried about bucks dropping their horns already? Is this definitely something I should expect to see?

Yeah they drop them around the beginning of November when the season ends. I saw lots of them with little white nubs on their heads around the time you're going to hunt. It's weird b/c it seems like it happens fast and all of a sudden all the bucks horns are gone.

I've seen some bucks with one horn already dropped a few days before Halloween. Ive shot a few at that time of the season that had both horns, but accidentally slipped one of when I lifted the Bucks head when I wanted to move it to take some pictures. So it's definitely possible that you may be looking at bucks with one or no horns during the first week of November.

I've seen some bucks with one horn already dropped a few days before Halloween. Ive shot a few at that time of the season that had both horns, but accidentally slipped one of when I lifted the Bucks head when I wanted to move it to take some pictures. So it's definitely possible that you may be looking at bucks with one or no horns during the first week of November.

I guess this is quickly becoming a meat hunt, luckily I love antelope.

Why not go the first week of deer season. Sure you would miss the start of the rut but the benefits of hunting the rut are greatly exaggerated. There is also a lot few hunters in the hills to get in your way.

Opening weekend of Antelope season my brother in law is getting married, opening weekend of deer season my best friend is getting married and I'm the best man. October is pretty much shot for me... and their both hunters, I tried to explain that missing your anniversary every year for the rest of your life is not going to be good for your marriage but did they listen...

What ever you decide to do...I'd try to keep the timing somewhat flexible. I've been backed into a corner more times than I care to admit and the outcome was not good as the weather screwed me. I guess it all depends on where exactly you're going...but the places I hunt; accessibility is always an issue unless it's blue-bird weather. But I will say this: some of my most memorable hunts have been when I was able to get into my chosen area just as the weather goes south...then after that it was great as I was the only one there. ;)

Opening weekend of Antelope season my brother in law is getting married, opening weekend of deer season my best friend is getting married and I'm the best man. October is pretty much shot for me... and their both hunters, I tried to explain that missing your anniversary every year for the rest of your life is not going to be good for your marriage but did they listen...

I'm right there with you man. I was named the best man for my buddies wedding. He just so happened to schedule his wedding for the second (better half) weekend of my Colorado 3rd season mule deer hunt, in which the season was pushed over 5 days later than last years season. I've been planning and waiting for this hunt for a few years. I'm bummin right now.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back