What were your worst caliber/rifle choices

I was 13 when my dad let me pick out my first deer rifle. I wanted a Model 70 in 270 Win. The only one the store had sported a high gloss finish which I hated so I bought one with a matte finish in 270 WSM. Never occurred to me that I could have asked to get one ordered.

M16, but it wasn't my 1st choice. I had no choice...

Second that motion. M16A1 and M193 55-grain 5.56mm ball. Not that I chose 'em.

Springfield M1A. Caliber was just fine and it actually was quite accurate. But it was more like a straight-pull action than a semi-auto since the operating rod was out of spec enough that it was dragging furrows inside the stock channel. Sent it in with a detailed explanation and a request for a different op rod. Got it right back with a note that I must send in the entire rifle because any parts installed needed to be, and I quote, "hand-fitted". Here I thought Eli Whitney had figured out the whole interchangeable gun parts thing in 1801 but that achievement apparently could not be duplicated in 2001. Oddly enough, soon after I found and bought an old USGI M14 op rod on-line and it dropped right in and the rifle functioned flawlessly thereafter. It just irritated me at the time that I had to do that with a brand-new and fairly expensive American-made rifle to get it to work.

30-30

I really wanted one way back in the day, now I don't remember what appealed to me. Maybe it was just the cool factor of a lever action Winchester rifle, but I shot a couple of deer with it and was pretty underwhelmed. Realized my .308 sitting in the closet was every bit as effective at close range and I could actually shoot farther than 150yds with it. 30-30 remains a popular deer cartridge, but after hunting with one a couple years back in my early 20s I'm just not sure I get it. They're fun to shoot, so there's that, but as a hunting rifle I don't see it as all that practical. No offense.

30-30

I really wanted one way back in the day, now I don't remember what appealed to me. Maybe it was just the cool factor of a lever action Winchester rifle, but I shot a couple of deer with it and was pretty underwhelmed. Realized my .308 sitting in the closet was every bit as effective at close range and I could actually shoot farther than 150yds with it. 30-30 remains a popular deer cartridge, but after hunting with one a couple years back in my early 20s I'm just not sure I get it. They're fun to shoot, so there's that, but as a hunting rifle I don't see it as all that practical. No offense.
Steve from Hammer is packing one in Africa. Can't wait for his report. mtmuley

Mini 14. Thought I would use it for coyotes, kind of a truck gun, but it just wouldn't shoot. As someone else said, patterns, not groups. Can't remember what happened to it; should have kept it and sold it last month for $1K on Gunbroker.

Remington 7400 in 270. No caliber issues and the rifle was plenty accurate enough for hunting purposes but two different gun smiths couldn’t get it to be more than an expensive single shot. Still in the back of the safe because I feel bad sending it to someone else
I have a 742 in .30-06. It's all about the ammo. Mine will handle green box R-P and a very VERY specific handload recipe, small base sized.

Worst cartridge's not rifle's. Both were L61 Sako's and very accurate. One was 338 Win Mag and the other 7mm Rem Mag. Both recoiled so badly shooting was little fun. Had to shoot them a lot just to be able to handle them. Both very accurate but nothing I dislike more than recoil!

870 wingmaster, I like my old faithful 870 Express. This particular wingmaster was lighter and just didnt fit me right damn thing would pop me right in the cheek bone each shot. I'm sure it could have been corrected but down the road it went.

I have a 742 in .30-06. It's all about the ammo. Mine will handle green box R-P and a very VERY specific handload recipe, small base sized.
I may dig it out and give another try. I think I have several flavors, maybe that’ll help. Thanks!

Ultralight in 300 wm that I could shoot about 3 times before a stiff neck and teeth started getting loose.

Recently I picked up a savage 110 ultralight In 6.5 creed for the kids. It shoots great with 140 elite hunters but overall I’ve not found the 6.5 creed in general to be anything special. I got a safe full of 7’s that will do everything its supposed to do better. Kids prefer shooting my Christensen 7rm now so probably going to let it go for a steal for someone. Got about 100 pieces of once fired, sized and primed brass along with 50 loaded elite hunters, Talley lightweight rings and a vx freedom 4-12. Just collects dust and I’m tired of looking at it.

A savage 22 mag not real accurate with the 30 grain hollow points and sinks beavers like a rock. Could find a load that shoots better but my 22LR or 17 both seem to be beaver slayers.

Worst cartridge's not rifle's. Both were L61 Sako's and very accurate. One was 338 Win Mag and the other 7mm Rem Mag. Both recoiled so badly shooting was little fun. Had to shoot them a lot just to be able to handle them. Both very accurate but nothing I dislike more than recoil!
I just remembered I Had a Sako in 338 too. Brutal kicker.

My worst gun was a Rem 700 BDL in 17 Rem. Shot great in no wind but the slightest wind and the local woodchucks didn't have to worry in the least. Just couldn't count on any kind of accuracy when you needed it at range..

The 22-250 Savage I bought to replace it, is ten times the varmint rifle..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back