PEAX Equipment

What type of gun is everyone taking?

tnctcb

just curious what kind everyone is trying to take. I dont know anything about ground squirrels so wondering what kind of gun to use for those.

I'm taking my 300 win mag for the hogs. Probably bring My SKS 7.62X39 in case we're in thick stuff. For the squirrels I'm bringing my Ruger 10/22. As well as anything else I can think of. I think I'll have my Ruger GP 100 in .357 too.... For now thats it.

My pig weapon will be modern archery gear. I'll probably carry my .357 Dan Wesson in case one tries to eat my leg.

Ruger 10-22 for squirrlies.

For you guys that have hunted pigs before, do you typically have the whole pig ground into sausage? Or do they make good chops etc?

Their ribs barbeque real well. A friend and I got about a 500 lb boar once that we thought we were going to use for sausage. His shoulder was all bloody from a shot, we soaked it in salt water overnight and cooked it the next day. It was so good we didn't make any sausage out of him. As soon as we shot him though, we were skinning quartering and putting him in the freezer.

I'll be using a .223 for the ground squirrels and most likely my .300 Weatherby for the pigs. (Not because I think you need that much gun, but it's lucky for me on hogs and I can really reach out there with it.) I'ved usually boned out the meat and bake it with low, moist heat. If you do get a gamey old boar, try simmering it with water and citrus juice, draining it and then cooking however you like it.

well some of you guys have me sold.I just got my .270 and wont have time to mount my scope and sight it in before I have to leave to head that way BUT since you other guys are gonn use your 300's and since Ive never shot anything with mine I guess ill bring my 300 win mag.Im also gonna try to remember my digital camera for the guys who cant make it. :eek:

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back