Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What truck-Family

The bigger the better.... I went with a 2015 Dodge 3500 crew cab long bed with a manual transmission. 2 car seats fit great plus room for an extra passenger in the back seat. Needless to say, when my dad sold me his Honda Accord for $500 I jumped at that so fast. The room in the pickup was great but the ride was rough but then again I wasn't planning on doing that much running around with the kids until my wifes job changed. So long story short, don't go with an extended cab unless your kids are out of booster and car seats.

I have a 2013 F-150 Crew Cab with the 6.5' Box. I don't mind the turning radius. But i definitely would not give up the 6.5' box or the Extra room in the cab. Its been a great truck for me so far. Purchased used 2 years ago.

Its the go-to vehicle for long road trips with the family. (5yo & 2yo + dog)

I’ve got four kids 3 in car/booster seats and one that isn’t, I just bought a lightly used 2017 F150 crew cab and I can tell you this I’m impressed with the room in the cab, all three kids seat in the back and you can still climb into to buckle the kids up, plus ford flat floor board is great. Plus I can for sure tell the power difference between the ford and the 2015 Silverado we had. It’s only got the 5 1/2 foot bed but I’m building a hunting trailer so it doesn’t bother me. Plus the middle front seat has a full back with an over the shoulder seat belt for our oldest boy and makes for a more comfortable ride when I get 6 guys in it running around fishing and chasing rabbits in the winter.

I have a 2016 crew cab with the 6.5' box and the turning radius is just fine. Never noticed a problem. I would get another in a heartbeat. 3.5L EB gets great mileage.

Bought a 2018 F150 supercrew with the 5.5 ft box and a 2.7L. My Dad has the same truck with 6.5 ft box and 3.5L. He gets better gas mileage. I should probably join that class action suit . . . but I digress, we have two kids, 5 and 7, and are glad to have the extra room. Couldn’t imagine less space with a dog.

Look at the front seat configurations too. We went with a bench front seat for additional room. The front middle has storage under the seat and when the front middle seat is folded down it doubles as a rest and also has more storage in the seat back. The option offers as much storage and function as a console but with more versatility.
I have a 2018 F150 super crew with the 6 1/2 foot bed in the 3.5 L. Really like the truck space is not an issue but the cam phasers are. Going into the shop for round three on those.

Yep, I got one. Had a 4 door with 5.5 before. Big difference in ride and packing with the 6.5 box and extra 12" of wheel base.
I have one as well. Love it, but long and hard to park in tight parking lots. Hard to find as well. I am puzzled why more manufacturers aren't making a 4 door 6.5' box. Everyone I talk to seems to favor this.

Family of 4 and I will not have a truck with out 4 full size doors. Deal breaker for me.

If you are dealing with car seats the crew cab is the only way to go. I made due with my extended cab silverado but was a big pain in the ass.

Yes. Next will be a f250. Mainly due to our new camper being near max weight for the 1/2 ton

If that's what your planning to get eventually, then just get that. Mine is a 2008 with the v10. Only down side is th fuel economy, but I didn't buy it for that. It's a. Beast off-road and it doesn't break. Keep up on the maintenance and it will serve you for a long time. 3/4 ton pickups are built to last. Most of them at least.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back