Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What to get next??

1_pointer

As most of you here know, I've been on a personal odyssey to find out all I can about rifles and reloading. Now for the next step. Currently my reloading equipment list looks like the following:
Press
scale
case lube kit
case trimmer
hand primer
powder measure/'thrower'(?)
deburring tool

I'm wondering what you think I should get next? First off I'd like to add a calipers and tumbler. How important is a micrometer? I do need one to sort out some loose bullets I was given (thanks del), but was wondering if one is needed and what for? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Calipers are a must have item, if you want to make good, consistent ammo. C.O.L can be very important for accuracy, and also to keep pressures low and consistent from cartridge to cartridge.

Have at least three reloading manuals. I recommend Speer, Hornady, Nosler, and Metallic Cartridge Reloading, Third Edition by M.L. McPherson. You can also pick up the free pamphlets printed by the powder manufacturers.

A micrometer is useful for measuring case expansion upon firing, but not necessary. Many reloaders never use one, and they get by just fine. You can use your calipers to measure bullet diameter.

A tumbler isn't needed, I reloaded for about three years before I got one. It makes for nicer looking ammo, and clean cases are easier on your dies. Some 0000 steel wool will get the cases clean enough for saving your dies, but it is time consuming and doesn't make your brass shiny.

A couple of other things I've found useful that aren't real expensive are a case neck brush with different sized bristles, and a primer pocket uniformer/flash hole deburring tool.

Also, I like to use a hand held priming tool (Lee, RCBS, Hornady) instead of the attachment on the press. You get a better feel for seating the primer.

Never underestimate the importance of a good, static-free powder funnel.

You've got most of the expensive stuff already. The calipers are about the most expensive item left that you really need,a nd they're about $25 or so. Get the dial type that are distributed by Lyman, Hornady, RCBS, Redding, etc... They're plenty good for our type of work.

Thanks!! I forgot to add that I've already gotten the powder funnel and hand primer. The only reason I can see I would need the micrometer is for the loose bullets I was given.

When measuring COL do you use something like the Stoney Point bullet comparator that measures from the ogive? I'm wondering because I've heard that bullets can differ a little in lengths from the ogive to the tip.

Thanks for the input.

As usual the man from the north steered you in the right direction. The only manual that I would add to that list is the Lyman #49 because of the reference to older powders and lots of different calibers.

With reference to the Stoney Point gage, yes. That is one of the few ways to assure that cartridge overall length is correct. Because of the different bullet shapes, length should always be checked at the ogive.
:cool:

Yep, Ya got good info on this. The only things I'd add are an additional vote for the case prep kit, and the calipers. Right after that would be a Powder trickler.

One thing that won't cost ya much other than some time and you'll one day be glad you have it.... is a diary or reloading log. I have mine all on Excell now, and backed up on a floppy. In there keep track of every load you make and it's results. When you're MY AGE :( you'll be glad to did it. Your Old fart buddy...WD

1_pointer, get the calipers. You can get a "rock" tumbler like mine for a couple of bucks at a yard sale. I use one and it works great. Ron

Nodak Hunter is right on target. I have micrometers and don't use them. I use instead, my dial calipers. As far as case prep, I have and don't use my case tumbler. I use 0000 steel wool and put the cases on a case spinner. It's nothing more than a steel rod about 3" long and tapered on one end. They are available from reloding suppliers or you can make them yourself. The case slips over the tapered end and wedges on. I put this in a drill press or you can put it in an electric drill and spin it. This polishes the cases in no time( about 6-7 minutes per 20) If the cases are extremly dirty soak them in a lemon juice and salt mixture for about an hour then rinse with plain water. When dry polish with steel wool. They will look like new. I also use bronze brushes to clean the inside of the case necks. Makes a difference.

Thanks for the responses!! You guys keep reminding me of stuff I have, as I do have a case prep set with the wire brushes, though I haven't used it yet. Are the brushes used for cleaning and lubing the inside of case necks???

PS- I gotta thank MLM for most of my stuff, he was quite generous when I visited him last summer and did a great job on my trigger. Now, if I could just convince him that he doesn't need one of those short action Ruger's he's got rat holed!!!! :D

Thanks 1pointer, when you do more Ruger trigger than homework, (age thing) you learn to do one thing right in life! I could have taken it down a tad more , but on a 338, I like them crisp, not light! Hope it all comes to you. You are a heck of a nice guy! Oh how are things out west , like you thought they would be?
Mike Murphy

The scenery's beautiful, the airplanes loud(I live next to Hill AFB), and the liquors locked up(it's a UT thing)!! So far I love it out here, but my wife as ambitions of moving back to the Midwest so we'll see. I'll give you a more succinct report on the hunting after this fall, school kept me outta the hills this year. Take care and keep me posted on the .243AI!

Dad says that the weather in IN has been in the 70's the last few days, how's it up you way? He took advantage of it and caught a 13.5" crappie last friday!!

Maybe you should talk to your Dad again, Bottom fell out of it Saturday. 70MPH winds and temp falling like a rock. No fishing here yet. I am working on tractors and moving parts with bearings. I am really putting off any thing big while I finish moving my Dads stuff into his new house, We built over the winter. I am now into several new rifle projects. Trying to find a gunsmith who will not take 6 months to put a rifle into one piece and than get the new Howa rung out for this summer PD hunt! I am glad you are having fun, but remember to put a smile on the wifes now and then. Just tell her to work a bit more overtime so you get get a new project started and while you are saving the money, you will do some honey do jobs for her! Sounds like a fair trade to me!
Mike Murphy

BTW- Where are you guys gonna be hunting prairie dogs??? I'd love to try that sometime, but they are endangered here in UT.

1pointer and others.... did ya'll catch what MLM said.... "Several" rifle projects... I'm not doggin' ya MLM, I'm bragging on ya. You are the MASTER.

1pointer, we're headed to someplace in NE Wyoming. A buddy of ours that is taking us out there, as honorable guests, has shot at a privately owned ranch there for the last couple of years. Reportedly, there are "several" Pdog towns on this ranch, and the one we're going to shoot is around 3 miles long and between 1 1/2 and 2 miles wide. Last year he averaged around 400 rounds fired per day.

IF I get to shoot 150 times a day, I'll be happy, that is equal 1 1/2 average years of chuck hunting for me (10 years like last year...very few chucks around here last year).

What I'm looking most forward to is seeing my ole buddy MLM make the 500 or 1000yd club, hopefully I'll get it on film too. Even if I don't get a shot off the whole trip, and I get that on tape the trip will be worth it. ;) WD

If WD can keep his eyes open long enough to film anything I would be amazed. I hear we are close to serveral towns , that are know places of ill repute. Now I know he has a nose like a bloodhound for these kind of places, so I am taking my dog shocking collars with me! Maybe that way he may get a shoot or two in all week! He is my buddy and I will try and keep him staight!
Mike Murphy

Murph, That's either a very small shock collar or Wayne is entitled to a hell of a lot more respect than I've been giving him. Which is it?

Sounds like you guys are off on another adventure. This one sounds like a real great time. If any of your "projects" are going to involve hypervelocity small bore guns, check out what PO Ackley has to say about the 224 Durham Jet. I was certainly impressed.

:cool:

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back