Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Primer pocket depth gauge

millerkiller77

I'm looking for a depth Guage I can drop into a primer pocket , measure the case & gauge together , zero the calipers and then measure the case alone. Deduct the difference and it should give me an exact reading on the primer pocket depth. I've seen the go/ no go gauges for loose pockets, but nothing for the depth without buying an entire kit with indicators, etc, etc.
Ideally something like this gauge in the pic, just with only one nipple that protrudes .132" and the other side flat for calipers. Does such a tool exist?Screenshot_20230707_142421.jpg

I'm looking for a depth Guage I can drop into a primer pocket , measure the case & gauge together , zero the calipers and then measure the case alone. Deduct the difference and it should give me an exact reading on the primer pocket depth. I've seen the go/ no go gauges for loose pockets, but nothing for the depth without buying an entire kit with indicators, etc, etc.
Ideally something like this gauge in the pic, just with only one nipple that protrudes .132" and the other side flat for calipers. Does such a tool exist?View attachment 283048
I don't know if one exists, but I bet you know a guy that could crank one out on his lathe pretty damn quickly.

Why don’t you just stick the other end of the caliper in the hole? The part that sticks out of the other side as you open the calipers? That’s what I always do if I need to check primer pocket depth.
IMG_1643.jpeg
IMG_1644.jpeg
IMG_1645.jpeg

I used to check the primer depth after seating. Waste of time. mtmuley
Same. If it protrudes at all then it won’t fit into my shellholder to seat the projectile. If it sits too deep then even 0.005” is quite noticeable just by feel.

I'm concerned about a particular lot of brass that is at the limits of SAAMI spec pocket depth. I have no interest in measuring them after they are seated, but if they aren't hitting bottom that's going to be a problem.
How did the primer pocket deepen? I guess this is something I've never been concerned about.mtmuley

How did the primer pocket deepen? I guess this is something I've never been concerned about.mtmuley
I was decapping 650ish pieces of once fired Nosler .270 brass. I noticed some of the primers were flush with the head (flattened) while others were clearly recessed and there was a visible lip that the primer was well below the head just by eyeballing it. They were all factory Nosler loads from the same ammunition lot number, but fired out of 3 different rifles
After decapping all of them I randomly measured the pocket depth with my calipers and they were drastically all over the board.
So, in my infinite wisdom I decided I would use a K+M primer pocket uniformer to get them all within a tighter tolerance as far as depth goes.. and that , ladies and gentlemen is where the shit show begins .🤣

I’ve always used the firing pin. I’ve probably hand primed 15-20k rounds at this point. They all went bang. Throw the uniformed away.

Back