MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What Sidearm While Hunting?

Can somebody fill me in on the differences between the Glock 20, 27, etc. ?

Glock 20 is a Full size 10mm, Standard mag carries 15 rounds of 10mm Auto. 4.6" Barrel and full length grip

Glock 27 is a Sub-Compact 40 S&W, 3.4"bbl Standard mag carries 9 rounds of .40S&W, it's basically a 3 finger grip. You pinky finger will most likely slide under the bottom of the magazine.

Glock 29, roughly same size as the G27, chambered in 10mm Auto.

G17,19, 26 and 34 are chambered in 9X19
G22, 23, 27 and 25 are chambered in .40S&W
G21, 30, 36 and 41 are in .45ACP
G20 and 29 are chambered in 10mm Auto

Those are the main Glock models you will find.

Glock 20 is a Full size 10mm, Standard mag carries 15 rounds of 10mm Auto. 4.6" Barrel and full length grip

Glock 27 is a Sub-Compact 40 S&W, 3.4"bbl Standard mag carries 9 rounds of .40S&W, it's basically a 3 finger grip. You pinky finger will most likely slide under the bottom of the magazine.

Glock 29, roughly same size as the G27, chambered in 10mm Auto.

G17,19, 26 and 34 are chambered in 9X19
G22, 23, 27 and 25 are chambered in .40S&W
G21, 30, 36 and 41 are in .45ACP
G20 and 29 are chambered in 10mm Auto

Those are the main Glock models you will find.

Wow! That's quite a selection. Thank you!

Statistically speaking you are better off with bear spray than ANY type of firearm to deter a bear attack. It is faster and reauires very little aiming. If a pistol is a must dont be under .357 or over .44 magnum in a double action revolver. Autos are unreliable when dirty and big calibers don't allow follow up shots from recoil as easily. But I can't emphasize enough that you are better off with bear spray. It also requires no explanation to law enforcement.

I seldom carry a handgun while hunting. If I am in snake country, a S&W N frame .45 with No. 12 shot loads. IIRC, Speer shot cartridges over 6 Gr. of Unique. When hunting with a muzzle loader and the regulations allow, I carry a S&W K frame .357 loaded with Federal Premium P357XB1, 140 Gr, Barnes Expander.

If your going to carry a side arm for protection you need to shoot on a regular basis with what your going to carry. I consider the 41 mag. minimum and only when loaded with hard cast bullets. 44 mag and heavy 45 colt hard cast loads are more effective BUT only if you hit what your aiming at. The hollow points are designed for controlled expansion on Deer sized or 2 legged predators. Not for penetration through muscle and bone. I spent 19 years as a LEO firearms instructor and can tell you when the stress level hits max any flaws in your gun handling and accuracy abilities come out very fast. So for the average guy bear spray is your bet for being successful in saving your hide.
Don't get me wrong by all means carry a handgun your comfortable with and proficient with but use the spray first it will give you a higher % of being successful.
JMHO
Dan

If your going to carry a side arm for protection you need to shoot on a regular basis with what your going to carry. I consider the 41 mag. minimum and only when loaded with hard cast bullets. 44 mag and heavy 45 colt hard cast loads are more effective BUT only if you hit what your aiming at. The hollow points are designed for controlled expansion on Deer sized or
PHP:
 2 legged predators].
Not for penetration through muscle and bone. I spent 19 years as a LEO firearms instructor and can tell you when the stress level hits max any flaws in your gun handling and accuracy abilities come out very fast. So for the average guy bear spray is your bet for being successful in saving your hide.
Don't get me wrong by all means carry a handgun your comfortable with and proficient with but use the spray first it will give you a higher % of being successful.
JMHO

Would that include Sasquatch too....:D

My carry gun is strictly for humans and the occasional run in with a mean dog. Me and the FBI agree on the 9mm and if I had to use it on a black bear in WV I wouldn't feel to bad with 15 rounds of 9.

A study just released by the FBI

FBI 9MM Justification

FBI Training Division: FBI Academy, Quantico, VA

Executive Summary of Justification for Law Enforcement Partners

· Caliber debates have existed in law enforcement for decades

· Most of what is “common knowledge” with ammunition and its effects on the human target are rooted in myth and folklore

· Projectiles are what ultimately wound our adversaries and the projectile needs to be the basis for the discussion on what “caliber” is best

· In all the major law enforcement calibers there exist projectiles which have a high likelihood of failing LEO’s in a shooting incident and there are projectiles which have a high ting incident likelihood of succeeding for LEO’s in a shooting incident

· Handgun stopping power is simply a myth

· The single most important factor in effectively wounding a human target is to have penetration to a scientifically valid depth (FBI uses 12” – 18”)

· LEO’s miss between 70 – 80 percent of the shots fired during a shooting incident

· Contemporary projectiles (since 2007) have dramatically increased the terminal effectiveness of many premium line law enforcement projectiles (emphasis on the 9mm Luger offerings)

· 9mm Luger now offers select projectiles which are, under identical testing conditions, I outperforming most of the premium line .40 S&W and .45 Auto projectiles tested by the FBI

· 9mm Luger offers higher magazine capacities, less recoil, lower cost (both in ammunition and wear on the weapons) and higher functional reliability rates (in FBI weapons)

· The majority of FBI shooters are both FASTER in shot strings fired and more ACCURATE with shooting a 9mm Luger vs shooting a .40 S&W (similar sized weapons)

· There is little to no noticeable difference in the wound tracks between premium line law Auto enforcement projectiles from 9mm Luger through the .45 Auto

· Given contemporary bullet construction, LEO’s can field (with proper bullet selection) 9mm Lugers with all of the terminal performance potential of any other law enforcement pistol caliber with none of the disadvantages present with the “larger” calibers

I can buy into that... I do not like recoil.

I carry UDAP and my G20 depending on where I am. The more time that goes by the farther east I carry both. Ive never ran into a griz yet. Shot a black bear at around 30 yards with my bow this year east of the Belts. I use a blackhawk! serpa at the moment but I am thinking of getting a survival sheath chest holster as I wear a pack a lot and thats a spot where I can get to it fast and not have the pack interfere with getting to it.

Back