Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What should A guy plan for as far as gear to bring when going to AK

Moosie

Grand poopa
I am planning a trip soon and woould lke to know what others recomend?!?!?

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

My trip to Alaska, about 15 years ago we took everthing we thoght we would need. The outfitter (Alaska Trophy Safaris aka Dennis Harms) had sent us a list of what we needed to bring but it was too sparse (we thought). Jet into Ankorage and another to King Salmon. Small prop plan to the hunt site and another fellow had joined us on this leg. He asked if we were planning to stay for the winter? He turned out to be one of our guides. We were given a pack and told to bring one change of clothes with one extra underwear, boots, gun and 2 boxes of shells. The rest we left in camp. We were in the bush for a week. Sure glad we didn't take the extra stuff to carry. Anyway we were able to get back into town and shower and get a quick change of clothes.
Anyway it will depend on if you are staying in a lodge or in the bush. Your outfitter has had expierence with other clients and should give you a list of needed articles. If you are in a group I would take one extra rifle for a group of three in case of malfunction or damage. Raingear, hip boots depending upon the area you hunt. BE SURE TO TAKE A CAMERA AND EXTRA FILM.
Best advise is to ask the outfitter.
I am trying to get back up there but dang the prices are getting higher and higher. I would certainly recommend Dennis again to anyone. It was a class act, food, guides and game was outstanding. Good luck and hope this helps.
Doc

Raven, If I can call you that for short,
wink.gif
, I am not 100% sure. It all depends on the "whether"...

"Whether" on not I draw on stuff next year and go broke doing it!!!! HEhee

Seriously though I have been plannning it for a while, I just have to commit to it. If I don't go Next year, It will be in 2002. The problem is I am Also Going to Africa in 2002. So I might have to start putting my pennies away today!!! I'm not 100% sure were yet either. I would like a Moose, and a Bou or two for my first trip!! I have a few leads and a few that post here w/ good info but would be open to some suggestions? Are you asking because you know a good guide or does it matter because it depends on the gear to where you go??

JCBDC, thanx for the Heads up!! That wil be a good contact!! I do want to say that in 15 years alot will change NO?!?! What did you get, or go after when you were there?!!? And do you have a story and pics to share?!!?

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter

moose.gif

[/list]

Moosie,
The gear you should bring will be determined by when and where you go, and what kind of accomodations you'll have. Are you planning a do-it yourself hunt, drop-off with your own gear, drop-off at an outfitter's established camp, or fully guided? I could run down a long list of what to take and not to take, but it all depends on your plans. Start by picking up Chris Batin's book "Hunting in Alaska". You can do most hunts unguided, but sheep, goat, and grizzly/brown bear require a guide (or resident close relative) for nonresidents, and guides ain't cheap. Wherever you go, you'll need good, waterproof boots, and probably a pair of hip waders. The weather is unprdectable, and can be brutal, especially on the islands and coastal areas. Bring a clothing system you can layer. If you want a very reasonably priced do it yourself caribou hunt, I recommend a bow hunt (must be IBEP certified) along the Dalton Highway. The reason I say bow hunt is because rifle hunting is prohibited within five miles of the road, and off road vehicles are also prohibited. You can hike in the five miles, but remember, you have to hike back out, weighing 100 lbs more (if you have a partner and 50 % success)...and it's tundra. It's about 300 miles north of Fairbanks on a gravel road. For a good shot at a moose, though you'd be better off going on a fly in, or even guided. Well, I've rambled about long enough. Narrow it down to when and where you want to go, and i'll see if I can help out with more info.

Moose,
Haven't been to Alaska yet myself but I suspect it's quite similar to Quebec and Newfoundland. As they stated above, good rubber boots, layered clothing, GORETEX. I know people who've hunted Alaska and it might rain A LOT. I definetly want to hunt there in the next 2-3 years if at all possible. One thing we found in Quebec that might also be in Alaska....even in the fall the black flies can be NASTY if the weather warms up for a day, even after the weather had previously turned cold. So bug dope should be taken along. My father in law hunted NW Alaska this September out of Kotzebue and liked the air service they used. I can find out the name if you want. Not sure if moose was an option there, I think it was strictly caribou.

------------------
polarbear2.gif

Like Reggae says, bugs are definitely a problem just about anytime the temperature's above freezing. Sometimes it's mosquitoes, sometimes blacklfies or "no-see-ums". Bug dope and head nets are strongly recommended. For most of the hunting situations up here the smell of bug dope is not a big problem. We even spray it around our bear baits to get the bears used to the scent before we start sitting the stands.

I am planning a trip soon and woould lke to know what others recomend?!?!?

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter

moose.gif

[/list]
The best rain gear you can afford, a good pack, good knives, if you are camping the best tent you can afford, a rifle that will stop a brown bear if needed

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back